Revolution Dosage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sausage4ever said:
I was lucky and we didn't get any lice or mites...but now I have a bigger question.

Is revolution really something we should be using on our rats?? This stuff causes some serious side effects if ingested and there have been anecdotes of it eating the varnish off walls (my Mom's friend had this happen to her now she no longer uses it at all). I know it's some serious stuff and I prefer to treat my cats naturally, thusly I'd like to do the same for my rats.

Does anyone know of any natural remedies for mites and lice? I have one for fleas, but that's not the same thing.

In my opinion, I've used it quite safely, it's been used for a long time, I'm personally happy with that.

Revolution should be safe if dosed properly.

We are unfortunately not in a position to do a lot of natural remedies with our rats.... there isn't the research behind natural remedies that there is for dogs and cats. And what might be safe for the dogs and cats may not be for rats.

I read somewhere to use teatree oil (diluted) on rats to treat mites, along with the occasional other essential oil. And then there's scores of people who say these oils are not safe to use either.

When doing naturopathic remedies for this sort of thing you are typically using a number of agents, one to soothe, one to REDUCE the number of parasites and one to PREVENT. This can create a very long process of actually removing the mites (lice are not so difficult to smother with olive oil since they are so much bigger).

The other thing is that revolution will take care of the adult mites and lice, as well as hatchlings. With ivermectin you have to re-dose, but you should have covered all your bases after the recommended three weeks.

I am all about going the natural route... Tungsten eats a raw diet, has minimal vaccinations and is not on a monthly preventative like revolution. I am comfortable going this route with him, because of all the information I can find on the internet. We are just not blessed with our rats in the same way.

Back