Revolution Dosage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

Hi guys

As you know Maple305 and I are about to go look at a bunch of rats who are living in a barn. I have some revolution here leftover from my cats I was wondering how much should be used on a rat? I have two bottles for "up to 4kg" cats, how many rats can that treat?

I also have some flea bath for dogs and puppies that I will use on as many rats as I can. I can't have fleas in this house! I am pretty allergic to them (get big purple bite sites) not to mention the dog, the cats and my boys.

Thanks

Revolution should do the trick for fleas.
I don't know if your dog and puppy flea bath would be safe for rats .... and bathing unfamiliar, frightened, likely unsocailized rats that have gone through the trauma those little ratties are going to be going through, is not a good idea.
Hope you are able to pull them all out of there.

The dose for revolution is 4 to 8 mg per pound of rat or 4 to 8 mg per 454.4 grams of rat.

If both of your bottles of revolution are unused (sure it is revolution?), your revolution will treat approx 17 rats that weigh 454.4 grams. But many rats are larger then that and many are smaller. So it depends on the rats. If you have a lot of young rats or small girls it should treat many more rats then 17. Babies under a certain age can not be treated with revolution or any other products. You wash them, pick off what you can see and wipe them down with olive oil to try to get bugs under control until they are old enough to treat.
I would see about getting another container of revolution to make sure you have enough.

Revolution comes in bottles? We get it in tubes.

btw, as far as I know, unlike mites and lice, fleas don't stay on the rat, they eat and jump off. That means you may be bringing flea eggs along but most fleas may stay behind, depending on how you do this. Revolution will kill the mites and the lice too.

They are in tubes...I called them bottle cuz the word tubes slipped my mind. They don;t have any fleas or mite that are showing any ill effects (ie no one is scratching or fight and everyone's fur is shiny).

have you checked shoulders, neck and chin for the trademark red dots that come with mites? or are you just treating everyone just incase?

Just watch carefully. You never know what might have been brought in with them but is not bothering them yet.

Does anyone know the youngest age/ smallest weight that a young rat can be treated with revolution? I'd like to do a prevention dose on everyone here if possible.

jorats said:
I've done it on mine at 6 weeks.

Thanks. I guess I'll just wait two more weeks. Do you just give the babies the smallest drop possible or do you try to measure out a specific dose for them? I don't have a scale, so I wouldn't know their exact weights.

The scales don't need to be a real "investment".. Walmart should have reasonably priced digital kitchen scales, and failing that a postal scale at Staples. Always a good thing to have :D

the dose for revolution is 6mg/kg
i have dosed babies as young as 1week old with no problem. i dont reccommend doing that unless the babies are almost being carried off by the lice(which they were)

I was lucky and we didn't get any lice or mites...but now I have a bigger question.

Is revolution really something we should be using on our rats?? This stuff causes some serious side effects if ingested and there have been anecdotes of it eating the varnish off walls (my Mom's friend had this happen to her now she no longer uses it at all). I know it's some serious stuff and I prefer to treat my cats naturally, thusly I'd like to do the same for my rats.

Does anyone know of any natural remedies for mites and lice? I have one for fleas, but that's not the same thing.

Absinthe will strip varnish off tables but people still drink it O.O (my friend was pissed about his table).

There is some mite/lice treatment that is really bad to use on rats, but i think its to do with active ingredients in it

i stopped drinking it after the table incident lmao. i had horrific images in my mind of what was happening to my stomach.

It will be interesting if you do find something natural to treat for mites with, and you will have to share the info :D I always prefer natural / homeopathic remedies for my pets (and sometimes myself :) )

Back