Revolution dosage help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnyvincent

Help! Just noticed one of my male rats, Croix, has several scabs on his back. Inspected his 2 cagemates as well as all the other rats and no signs of scabs or fleas. I didn't see any fleas on Croix or any of the other rats but I can't imagine what else it could be. But why would he be the only one with scabs?

That said, I do have one vial of kitten Revolution that the vet sold me when we weren't sure why Olivia had a couple scabs (turned out to be from where the injected medication so I didn't use the Revolution).

I just am too stupid to figure out dosages. Also, if that's not enough to treat all the rats I can get more Monday but do I treat some of the rats in the meantime or might as well wait until I can treat them all?

What I have is kitten Revolution, 15 mg (.25mL, 60mg/mL).

Male rats X5 are close to 600 grams
Female rats X5 are close to 400 grams
Young female rats X3 140 grams
Then of course Olivia at 67 grams

Ugh....

The general rule is one drop to the shoulders of each rat. For the little ones what I have done in the past is use a syringe to pull it up so I can give a much smaller sized drop with control I need.

Also I have this syringe (for measuring purposes only... obviously i wouldn't be using a needle to insert the med) but this could help with making sure I give them the right amount. Thanks again.

Is one dosage enough for all those rats? If not should I wait until I can treat them all? I feel so bad for Croix :(

Sorry to ask so many questions:

In further research I find what I have will only treat my 5 adult rats and maybe a couple of the babies but won't be enough for everyone.

Would Advantage work as well or is Revolution much better? I can buy Advantage OTC as soon as tomorrow. I don't mind cost I just want to use whatever will work best.

What I have is kitten Revolution, 15 mg (.25mL, 60mg/mL).

Male rats X5 are close to 600 grams
Female rats X5 are close to 400 grams
Young female rats X3 140 grams
Then of course Olivia at 67 grams

Ugh....

Advantage often doesn't work on mites whereas Revolution will and is safer.

if you only have one tube then yes you cannot dose them all. Dose the ones with the scabs and order more from here:

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/re....html?osCsid=3a9382691b0f85d883b0bcb77b781962

It can take up to 2 weeks to arrive but it won't matter, you have a month after treating some of them before they would be exposed again to parasites.

Let's see how much you really need

Boys at 600 g = .06 cc each x 5 = .3
Girls at 400 g = .04 cc each x 5 = .2

All baby girls = .01 cc each x 4 = .04

Then of course there's spillage and drippage. So say .6 cc's total for all.

and just so you understand the doses in the syringe, here's a diagram to help you...

syringeincrements.jpg~original

OK that looks. I'll need at least one cat dose of Revolution to treat the rest of the rats.

We have a problem in our neighborhood (which I only moved into last fall). People without pets have flea problems. I treated my cats with Frontline Plus and the Capstar pill and did the cleaning & vacuuming. I didn't treat the rats as I read fleas rarely feed on them. But the Frontline Plus did not work on the cats, and I can't try Revolution or Advantage on them for another 2 weeks safely. But anyway that's how it got to this point.

Going into soldier mode with the house today and treatments.

My understanding is I have .25 mL. The three boys in the one cage where he has scabs will take up .18 mL. I'll use .03 on the healthy baby girls and give on .04 dose to one of my females who has a tendency more than other to get the sniffles.

I can only separate the 3 boys who are treated and the healthy baby rats will be at the bottom of a DCN with one of the treated females. I'll bathe them and clean the heck out of their cages. Let's just say I have a detailed plan.

Thank you for all your help. If I added wrong I guess I'll find out when I try to apply the meds. The main thing is treating the one who's afftected the most and his cagemates. I'm not treating Olivia yet, as I will get some more Revolution tomorrow for her the new vet seems to think she has a chance (or sadly might be pts tomorrow :( )

OK so the vet sent me home with some and have them me give them way more than what you listed. I wasn't able to treat all the rats at those dosages and now I looked on here and saw what you suggested. The 3 rats I treated seem fine but she had me give them .15 each. If I go with the doses you gave here I can treat the rest with what I have and not have to get more. Will .15 hurt the ones I already treated? I'd know by now right if it was going to hurt them right? I triple checked and it was the same mg/mL.

Back