Returning to the Rat Shack!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat.charmer

Hello all!
Not sure how many familiar faces are still around from my days of being on the Rat Shack (2008!) but I'm back! I've had rats since the early 2000s and was heavily involved in several rescue efforts, including the big train from the East Coast of Canada, getting some rats from NY, and trying to help out in the Greater Toronto Area whenever I could. I'm actually originally from Northern Ontario, Canada along with our founder and a few other members. I've loved (and lost) 28 furbabies over the years.

I've been ratless for about 15 months - ever since I moved to sunny Northern California. But that might change very soon! After a hectic wedding, finally getting a full time job, and settling down in my new country - I think I'm ready to start rescuing again (or at least fostering). I'll be reaching out to rescues in the Bay Area but would love any locals to point me in the right direction with respect to where to get supplies etc.

I'll be ready to adopt after Christmas (going back to see my family in Northern Ontario...brrrr).

Greetings and salutations! I can see how one might like to move to warmer climes...
It's great you will be giving some ratties a forever home. It seems like when there is a need around there, it is BIG (hoarders).
Enjoy your trip home to the Great White North, get your fill of snow while you're here, and then TAKE OFF, EH? LOL

Welcome back! :joy: There are lots of us who remember you and your ratties.

It's great to know that you are living the good life in sunny CA, and --- ready to have rats again!

Hey there and welcome to my neck of the woods! (And TheRatQueen's too!) For someone interested in rodent rescue, the Bay Area is definitely the place to be! Around here, there's lots of rescue groups that work with ratties, and the shelters and humane societies don't treat them as disposable critters.

PetFoodExpress is a wonderful store with many locations in the Bay Area - they don't sell live animals (unlike PetCo and PetSmart), and hugely support local rescue groups. A little pricey though and their rodent supplies are limited, but they have great bird toys that my kiddos love.

If you are near San Jose, you've got to go to Andy's Pet Shop - its a major adoption outpost for several rescues (rats included), and they sell a lot more rodent-oriented supplies. I believe they are also a distributor of our violet976's lovely hammocks and cage liners.

Haven't found any retailers that sell Harlan Teklan (if that's your preferred food), so I purchase mine online from a local gal at The Crafty Rat.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

rhapsody - Thanks for all the helpful info - particularly the bit about The Crafty Rat. We live in SF proper and aren't in the South Bay or the East Bay that much. Once we're ready with a cage etc. we're going to check out the SF Animal Care & Control. They seem to have a few rats that could use forever homes. The other thing I was thinking of doing is fostering to start - just to make sure the hubby isn't allergic. He was fine before when he was just visiting me and the rats, but just want to make sure it'll be okay now that he'll be around them permanently. Do you know if there's much need of that or how to get involved?

rat.charmer said:
The other thing I was thinking of doing is fostering to start - just to make sure the hubby isn't allergic. He was fine before when he was just visiting me and the rats, but just want to make sure it'll be okay now that he'll be around them permanently. Do you know if there's much need of that or how to get involved?

Oh gosh yes, there's a need for fostering! I know for sure that North Star Rescue has several such volunteers in SF (I foster hamsters for them), and I think that Rattie Ratz does too - neither have a central location, but are loose network of folks from all over the Bay Area. They'd welcome any help you can offer!

Welcome back!!!! Wow, California, aren't you the lucky one! We are absolutely freezing over here in Sudbury. Bring back some heat will ya? lol

jorats said:
Welcome back!!!! Wow, California, aren't you the lucky one! We are absolutely freezing over here in Sudbury. Bring back some heat will ya? lol

I'll do what I can, Jo! I get updates from my mom all the time about the weather in Sudbury - I'm afraid living in California has made me soft and weak!!

rhapsody said:
rat.charmer said:
The other thing I was thinking of doing is fostering to start - just to make sure the hubby isn't allergic. He was fine before when he was just visiting me and the rats, but just want to make sure it'll be okay now that he'll be around them permanently. Do you know if there's much need of that or how to get involved?

Oh gosh yes, there's a need for fostering! I know for sure that North Star Rescue has several such volunteers in SF (I foster hamsters for them), and I think that Rattie Ratz does too - neither have a central location, but are loose network of folks from all over the Bay Area. They'd welcome any help you can offer!

I'll message them - thanks!!!

Back