Rest my dear Archie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyRayeRats

My baby boy Archie, who was at least 3 years old, crossed the Rainbow Bridge tonight. He first came into our lives as an intact foster rat with a URI. We fell in love with his big squishy man-rat personality. He was about a year old (we think) when we first took him home early 2011 and we decided that we would have him neutered so he could join the group! He has had a lot of rat friends and has always been a sweet boy.

92875f69.jpg

His first hammock

ddebb696.jpg

Cuddles!

496767db.jpg

Sweet man when he was young and spry! (His nakee friend, Ernie, in the background. They are now together again)

b366c920.jpg

His first snuggles with his nude pal

The past couple months he has gotten thinner and slowed down quite a bit. Tonight, my husband was cuddling with him and giving him some extra food (which we have been doing a lot lately since his younger cagemates tended to steal from him). I was in the other room and all of the sudden my husband called me in to say something was wrong. He became limp and his breathing slowed, I felt his little heart beat slow and then fade away. It was very quick and peaceful and I was grateful that he didn't seize or appear to be in pain. We knew the time was near, but we are thankful that he chose cuddle time to say "good bye". We placed him in the cage and his lady friends all licked, nudged and sniffed their rattie good byes.

Love you, my sweet Archer

I'm so sorry for your loss. But it sounds like he died peacefully, with people he loved, after a long and happy life. Judging by your signature, it looks like he had a lot of buddies waiting for him on the bridge. He'll be in good company while he waits for you.

Thank you for sharing about Archie ... he sounds like a very special well loved boy who had good life with you.
I am very sorry for your loss

Aw, reading about him passing brought tears to my eyes. It's nice that you and your husband were able to be with him right before. I hope when the time comes (years from now, hopefully) for my girls, that I will be there and it will be peaceful. So sorry for your loss.

Brought tears to my eyes too :sad3: :heart: RIP Archie run carefree with Ernie and all your buddies :heart: :sad3:

A well-loved rattie and so nice that he got such a great home with you. It's always hard to see them off, but always so gratifying to have been able to make sure they had happy, loved lives here. You did that with your Archie and he thanks you for all your kind love. Condolences. :hugs:

Back