Respiratory Disease

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariella

Hiya all! I have recently purchased a new rattie to go with my boy that is by himself due to a cage mate passing away. Fortunately, before we started mixing him with our other rat, I noticed him crackling and sneezing quite a lot... We went back to the pet shop he came from and now have antibiotics for him which he has been on for a few days now. He seems much better and doesn't seem to be sneezing and wheezing anymore.

My question is, how long do I need to leave it before I can mix him with his new friend? They both seem so lonely :(

TIA!

He's on 0.1 ml baytril a day - I was more worried that the other little dude might get it from him :( Maybe the antibiotics will keep him well enough that won't happen... I guess maybe I will take a bit of a risk as I think it's more unfair keeping them alone for too much longer, poor things. Thank you!

ETA - Actually, I've just read that it is most likely not contagious after all and that most are likely to have it anyway... Next time I will do a bit more reading and not just listen to the vets!

Last edited:
Baytril's a good med, and they're already in the same home together. If he seems to be doing better, start your intro's carefully (such as together on a bed while you watch, etc.) to make sure there are no scuffles. Some intro's go smoothly right from the start, and some take a while longer through repeated supervised introductions. Hopefully, they'll both be together and happy soon!

Back