rescueing two boys // they're home! w/pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarah

i found an ad about a woman needing to rehome her two male rats. one is a "beige and white dumbo rex" and the other is a "standard dark male."
it was her first time owning rats, and she doesn't have much info on them. the dumbo is 8 months, and the other is 6 months. she says she as allergies towards them and cannot keep them anymore and also said if she cannot rehome them this week, they go back to the pet store. :sad3:
i called her up and asked her what she wanted for them (they were in the local buy & sell) and she said free. so i told her i'd take them either tomorrow or sunday.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow! :joy: & pics soon.

I was talking to the woman and her roomate today, and it's not possible to get them today.
They said most likely tomorrow afternoon i'll be able to pick them up.

She also told me their names are Lucas and Marley.

I picked up Luke and Marley from they're terrible conditions yesterday. They were living on pine and cedar, and as if that's not bad enough, it looked as if it hadn't been cleaned for months. They had a cage that was a little bigger than a hamster cage, and both boys are pretty big. On top of everything, when i got there they had both boys out on the floor with the cat. :panic: Marley's skin is this color orange and he was super dirty with loads of porphyrin around his eyes and nose. Lucas' tail is super rough and has lots of small pine pieces lodged up under the "scales".

But the good news is that Lucas and Marley are finally here and somewhat cleaned up. Luke is ADORABLE, but he's kinda shy around me right now. He's a beige split capped dumbo rex that's about 450 grams. And Marley is a silvered black self who is really outgoing and weighs 400 grams. Here are some pics of the new fellas:

Marley:
This is a big cage mom!
LucasandMarley001.jpg

Yay! This stuff doesn't make me sneeze!
LucasandMarley044.jpg

Im SO comfy!
LucasandMarley049.jpg

Lucas (Luke):

How does this work?
LucasandMarley007.jpg

Lets cuddle!
LucasandMarley019.jpg

Oh they are so handsome. :heart:

When the tail is really bad I take a really wet facecloth and kinda soak it while I pet him. It usually takes more than once though.

Those are some pretty boys you have there. It's so sad when people subject them to that kind of treatment. I really hope that Lucas' tail will get better.

Their ADORABLE :heart:
Im so glad that their in a much better home now!

For the tail i've also read that you can take a soft toothbrush and get some warm soapy water on it and you can use that to get it clean, it may get a little deeper then the cloth but i dont really know my rats are pretty clean so i just use the occasional baby wipe, but this seems like a more serious job.
Good luck :D

Tarah said:
i found an ad about a woman needing to rehome her two male rats. one is a "beige and white dumbo rex" and the other is a "standard dark male."
it was her first time owning rats, and she doesn't have much info on them. the dumbo is 8 months, and the other is 6 months. she says she as allergies towards them and cannot keep them anymore and also said if she cannot rehome them this week, they go back to the pet store. :sad3:
i called her up and asked her what she wanted for them (they were in the local buy & sell) and she said free. so i told her i'd take them either tomorrow or sunday.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow! :joy: & pics soon.

I was looking at an ad similar to that on the buy and sell website, and honestly I have a hugeeee soft spot for dumbos <3.
I was going to send them an email but I never got a chance.
Was this the ad by chance?
http://www.nlbuysell.com/Categories/Pets/Pets_&_Supplies/1192108.asp

By the way Tarah the boys are beautiful! I bet they will be great little sweeties!

Back