Rescued litter progress thread.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poisoned

All male - pretty sure. Ten.
They came from a hoarding situation where the rats are allowed to breed at will. They're sick and scrawny, half the size of MY five-week-olds and I think they're about the same age.
Ah, and they're nearly feral. I think there are a lot more rats in need of help. I might take in some neutered males too. I don't want to get overwhelmed - anyone in the Hampton roads area who'd like to help foster some rats (I heard there are a lot of neutered males) independently - meaning their expenses are on you - I don't want to say anyone will pay them for you because I do not know, I could pass your info along to the lady pulling them from this situation. Keep in mind health is likely a serious concern.

I replied to your PM Tembla!

They are really tiny - I was told they're 3wks but others have said they look older. I did get them to eat in front of me yesterday, so that's a start..

Poisoned said:
I replied to your PM Tembla!

They are really tiny - I was told they're 3wks but others have said they look older. I did get them to eat in front of me yesterday, so that's a start..

Got it, will reply tomorrow when I'm at a real computer. The person you are dealing with makes me ill. but I am really glad you could help. who is your vet? I'm trying to think of any on the peninsula and drawing a blank.

I'm actually looking for a vet who specializes in small pets around newport news/hampton/yorktown. My vet is a dog/cat vet, but will see rats. I'd just rather have a vet who knows rats as well as this one knows dogs. I know there are some in VA Beach, but I'm on the other side of the bridge and want to avoid that drive unless it's necessary.

Do PM me back, I'd like to know whatever there is to know about this situation, I only got that they were from someone hoarding and allowing them to breed out of control. I did not know these little ones were sick (doing a LOT better now, and putting some weight on) either, which is why I added the health concern up top. I only have my house to keep them in - and my 14 fosters/personal rats who are healthy and happy, and having to sanitize thoroughly going between rooms and scrub like a maniac hoping nobody catches it sucks.

I'm working hard to socialize them. One of the selfs is quick to come lick my hands but none are okay with being held or touched yet.

Breakfast6_zps26af7c76.jpg

They're all doing very well. A lot more social and healthy, big enough that I moved several into the big boys' cage and they're having a blast in there.

It's good to hear that they are making progress. Any luck with potential adopters?
Have you checked with EC Rat to see if they'd post a note about them? SNMR still has a blurb on their newsletter with contact info for rats for adoption, we've placed all our kids from M's but have left our info up since M and you both have a bunch of S's babies.

I'm not sure I ever responded about the vet - have you tried Todd's Lane Vet Clinic in Hampton? I've never been there, but they always turn up on my search for local exotic vets. Two of my foster boys were adopted by one of the veterinarians at Todd's and his fiance, she said they'd be neutering them at Todd's and that the place does have rat experience. Might be something to look into if you haven't already.

mamarat said:
The first pic of July 16 just made my day maybe my whole week. Thanks UnePuce for giving me a heads up.

You're very welcome, when I saw it, I immediately thought of you! :wink2:

That's a neat ratty pile! :heart:

Most have been adopted by lovely ladies. A few are still here being spoiled rotten.. Oddly enough, given the choice of who to adopt, everyone picked the black selfs!

I hadn't even thought of Todds Lane, I don't know why. I will check them out now though! Thanks.

Back