Rescue ratty has a long road ahead.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kat, you're doing a great job.
I just had two rats with acute kidney failure, one of whom died because he was put on respiratory meds instead of kidney meds. The "thatched roof" appearance refers to the hollow, triangular shape of the back in older animals (esp. males) whose kidneys are losing function. I searched the threads for a recent one on kidney, and just revived it here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=482587#post482587

Last edited:
Kat, you're doing a great job.
I just had two rats with acute kidney failure, one of whom died because he was put on respiratory meds instead of kidney meds. The "thatched roof" appearance refers to the hollow, triangular shape of the back in older animals (esp. males) whose kidneys are losing function. I searched the threads for a recent one on kidney, and just revived it here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=482587#post482587

Kidney failure is one of the reasons I started making my own food. It's been a lot of trial and error, but it's worth it, in my opinion. I read a lot about rat nutrition to keep up to date and make sure I'm providing them with the best I can. I'll keep the thatched roof apperance trick in mind, thank you for mentioning it! Tumors are another big reason I've switched, I figure I know most of their genetics are awful, so I better give them the best fighting chance I can by providing them with good diets to maintain health.

I will, but I don't think it's ring worm. He had some really thick, nasty scabs on them when he first came here, and I've been cleaning them gently with saline daily :)
So did Wally.... Didn't know anyone had anything until my hands caught it... never want that again. I'm sure your right, but that was nasty to catch

So Luther's been in our care for almost 2 weeks now. In that time so far, his scabs have healed (Leaving scars, but still, they're healed), his eye has stopped leaking, and his fur, though still definitely scruffy, has seemed to start filling in. He's put on a lot more weight now, he's almost up to a normal size, and he's made plenty of friends.

This little chub looks COMPLETELY different from the sad, thin, beat up little thing i picked up at the shelter. Mommy is so proud of you Luther, you're doing so, so well my sweet little man <3

46537f7e-3ff4-4084-8595-a476864cd9fb_zpsfp6vfdfl.jpg

Back