Rescue Opinion Please?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuffinsMum

Look at this sweetie! http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24173988

I wish he could come and live with us ... but can I ask those people who are familiar with rescues - what about the fact that we'll be going away soon? Am I a bad rat mommy right from the get go? He'll only have a bit more than a month and then his environment will change again - is that too stressful, is it a no no for now?

I would start the application process now... LMR adoptions can take some time so they may not be done the process before you go away but at least it'll be started. It shouldn't be too big a deal if you go away for a few weeks right after adopting him as long as he's been cared for by someone that's going to handle him and such. (Far too many people do not handle rats unfortunately, even at vet's offices.)

Another option is for the foster mom to keep him until you come home from away. That way he won't have too many changes. I'm sure they'd be happy to hold him for you knowing that he has a forever home.

Thank you for your responses! It makes going and talking to them a bit less daunting ... I was just imagining someone on the other end with their eyebrows stuck to the ceiling thinking - "How does this woman's mind work??"

Soo cute : ) But yea LMR can take soem time, but I am sure they oudl be mroe then happy to hold him for you. Besides if you have unspayed girls they will most certainly want to neuter him before they giv ehim to you anyways. . Pretty sure this boy just came to LMR as well : ) He loosk jsut like my girl :D

I see little Roxy in your avatar! Cutieee! Please send her a kiss from us - it would almost be like sending one to Jac too! How long have you had her? Do you think she's his sister?

I filled out an application. Now we'll just see how things unfold...

MuffinsMum said:
I see little Roxy in your avatar! Cutieee! Please send her a kiss from us - it would almost be like sending one to Jac too! How long have you had her? Do you think she's his sister?

I filled out an application. Now we'll just see how things unfold...
I ot her and her twin sister in 2010, she is over 2 now. Doubt there are siblings since the mom of my girls was also adopted out. But there are sooo manyy BC rats with the colouring. I know there was a huge BYB that kept dumping rats on LMR all with the colouring. ( When I got my girls there was 2 litters with the smae colouring from the same coloured mothers) So he is probably an aftermath of that. He is adorable :D

Oh Cinderwolf that is so sad! I just wish people wouldn't do it!

I've heard back from LMR, who say that they need a bit of time, they responded to a call about 28 abandoned ratties this morning ...

And only yesterday I was telling my hubby that there was a grand total of 17 adoptable rescue rats listed on various websites in the whole of BC!

:sad3:

P.S. thanks for saying he's adorable, we think he's a very handsome little lad too!

MuffinsMum said:
Oh Cinderwolf that is so sad! I just wish people wouldn't do it!

I've heard back from LMR, who say that they need a bit of time, they responded to a call about 28 abandoned ratties this morning ...

And only yesterday I was telling my hubby that there was a grand total of 17 adoptable rescue rats listed on various websites in the whole of BC!

:sad3:

P.S. thanks for saying he's adorable, we think he's a very handsome little lad too!
Yes I heard about the 28. i find in general there usually isnt many rats listed.

I know that every adoption is different and that rescues are volunteer run so this isn't to try and sound impatient or demanding ...

What sort of time frame (very variable I know) do you think we're looking at?

I guess I'd just love something positive that the process has started and wondered when that would possibly be? Thanks for any ideas from those that have been through this and might know!

:heart:

MuffinsMum said:
I know that every adoption is different and that rescues are volunteer run so this isn't to try and sound impatient or demanding ...

What sort of time frame (very variable I know) do you think we're looking at?

I guess I'd just love something positive that the process has started and wondered when that would possibly be? Thanks for any ideas from those that have been through this and might know!

Well this shoudl give you an idea: My first adoption, I applied, then didnt here back for a few weeks, then played email tag for another few weeks, trying to find a time to do a home visit. Then wam bam did the home visit and the next day went to pick up the girls.

Second adoption, sent in the application, then a few days later got a response then a week and the boys went in for their nueter thena week later I gto them. So it really varies. She did get back to you right, just said it might take a little bit, im sure they havent forgotten and will try to set up a visit as soon as they can. Good luck :D I know how hard it is too be patient

Thanks Cinderwolf :hugs:

I guess when I see Jac's little picture, I just want to feel like we're working towards getting him home. Even if things go slowly, just feeling like it's HAPPENING ...

But you understood completely!

:cuddle: Thanks again!

Just a little follow up on this one ....

Jac was in for more surgery because the lump in his groin (they initially thought was a hernia) seems to be a growth. He's really young to be having growths, so it isn't looking as though he is going to be adopted out - for his sake and for the sake of the adopter.

I had lost a piece of my heart to this little manrat - and feel so sad ... but I know that LMR are doing a fantastic job of looking after him and are acting in his best interests, which is the big thing.

Loved you Jac!

Back