Repairing cage pans..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakthenight

So one of my lovely past ratties, Rowan, destroyed my cage pan by chewing out three of the corners. Now I had kind of temporarily repaired it with some plastic and duct tape, which wasn't really an issue when I had only one senior rattie living in the cage and a whole lot of bedding, but it obviously wasn't a permanent fix, which again wasn't and issue when I thought I was done having rats. Now that I am planning on getting a couple of boys it's kind of an issue, LOL.

Anyway, the pan has been chewed completely through in three corners, and though the rats still can't escape (The wire sits over the pans) pee, dirty bedding and all other kinds of nasty things can leak out and most likely destroy the floor.

Does anyone have any idea how I could repair or remake a tray for the bottom of the cage. I REALLY do not want to have to buy a new pan and have it shipped here partially because shipping would be hell...it would come to 103.00!!!!!!

(On that note, I only plan on having two ratties and the cage is sized for 15 rats. If anyone would like to trade this cage for a nice, smaller sized cage i'd be willing to work something out LOL. Seriously though. I've always thought that the cage would make an awesome aviary if someone had birds or something too. Maybe with the size someone would be willing to take the time to fix up the tray?)

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to go about repairing this tray? I was thinking a cheaper option might be making a coroplast replacement but I don't know. Anyone?

What kind of cage is it? People might be able to help more if they knew that.

Could you use the plastic dish trays (the kind that go under the drying rack allowing drainage into the sink) cut to the proper size and attached somehow (possibly with duct tape)?

It's a custom martins cage. The dimensions for the pan are 30x30 so dish trays are definitely out. I'm thinking possibly coroplast but I don't know. I'd need quite a big piece.

You could sell it on kijiji - two ads, 1 as a bird cage, the other as a cage for ferrets, rats, etc
and use the money to buy a one section CN.

I believe it is a custom martins cage (rudd), with a 30 in by 30 inch base, extra large doors, 3 full levels and 4 balconies.
You can make a clorplast pan but they do not work that great.

I knew someone who used to be a welder. He heated up plastic and repaired chewed pans.
Worked great!!
Maybe find a welder to repair the pan?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12060

There's a picture of the cage from an old thread if that helps? Any idea where in Halifax I could buy a sheet of coroplast? It's hard because we don't have a car and busing with a giant piece of plastic isn't easy. That and I'm a little worried it wouldn't stand up AT ALL to rattie teeth. Has anyone here used it with rats?

breakthenight said:
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12060

There's a picture of the cage from an old thread if that helps? Any idea where in Halifax I could buy a sheet of coroplast? It's hard because we don't have a car and busing with a giant piece of plastic isn't easy. That and I'm a little worried it wouldn't stand up AT ALL to rattie teeth. Has anyone here used it with rats?

I bought the stuff for my bunnies' condo at my local Rona... most hardware stores that carry building supplies have it.

I think it depends on the rats how long those pans stand up... I have seen homemade coroplast shelves last a long time, but I also know from experience that some rats (not most) cannot be trusted with anything plastic.

Well apparently the repair the old pan option went out the window. Went to have a look at the damage on the old cage, and it appears the pan went missing in the move. Really not pleased with this turn of events.

I'm hesitant to sell because I know I will not be able to sell the cage at least for what I'd want for it in a reasonable time frame or possibly at all, especially now that it's missing a part. I do have a smaller cage I could use for a while if I decided to either sell the big cage or repair it- but I'd rather not if at all possible.

I use coroplast in a couple of my FN's. It lasts pretty long, I make sure I fold the blanket under it and have another blanket on top. I also got a tray made at a metal sheet place for a Martin's. The cage was a 695 and the tray was only 45 dollars.

I would look in the Yellow Pages and find a sheet metal place. It would be very simple for them to make a sheet metal pan if you gave them the dimensions.

you can get plexi glass cut to fit it as well. I used that for along time as a floor to my super pet cage. they never chewed it.

Joanne said:
I would look in the Yellow Pages and find a sheet metal place. It would be very simple for them to make a sheet metal pan if you gave them the dimensions.

I had metal pans made for my CN so I am sure you could have a pan made....

Back