Reopened Surgery Incision

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace8670

I took Salli in today for a tumor removal everything was fine she mostly been sleeping but I just checked on her again and her whole back leg is a huge gapping bleeding hole she's completely opened it up. I don't know what to do. I do have some new skin liquid bandage can I use that to close the wound back up. I've been compressing it and even though she's been bleeding I don't think she's suffering from too much blood loss.

Alright yeah I decided against that in the end as well no way I could get to sit still enough and I was too afraid of it to get in her wound and cause worse damage. I've tried body wraps and failed she just squeezes out of them the best thing I've been able to do is just is just go on watch with her got her in the small animal carrier with paper towels down and won't allow her to lick the area trying to keep her still as possible she's still is on her pain killers from the vet and doesn't seem in pain hopefully that is enough until the vet opens at 9

Alright yeah I decided against that in the end as well no way I could get to sit still enough and I was too afraid of it to get in her wound and cause worse damage. I've tried body wraps and failed she just squeezes out of them the best thing I've been able to do is just is just go on watch with her got her in the small animal carrier with paper towels down and won't allow her to lick the area trying to keep her still as possible she's still is on her pain killers from the vet and doesn't seem in pain hopefully that is enough until the vet opens at 9

Does it look like Balera's and she's just opened the skin layer? Does it seem like she opened it up more than the original incision?

Ask them IF they used buprenorphine, which can cause pica and picking in rats at higher doses and some rats are very sensiitive to this and might open up their incision, see if they can just do metacam or torb injections for her today.

Also how did the close up the original incision?

Last edited:
They closed the original incision with those disovable stitches I had to drop her off due to them not having any availability open on Saturday. They restitched her up with three layers gave me buphnex pain killer to give her along side SMZ antibiotics and metacam and then gave her staples which I will have to take her back in on the 21st to get removed I think she opened it more because I could literally see her insides through the gapping hole. I did do a successful body wrap and cut her available moving space in half. Dr Palmer said when she moves around she feels the pulling on her legs and that makes her want to pick at it. I'm sincerely hoping this works. I've also been giving her all kinds of treats to help distract her from her picking.

Buprenorphine is a narcotic and can cause pica. So the new dose of drug may have caused her to open up the incision again. :(

and this is why that drug is not allowed within an inch of my rats. I hate that drug and having to deal with open incisions.

What is pica? And she only prescribed it after the original opening of the incision should I stop giving it to her? The vet told me to give it to her three times daily

Yes, what is pica?

Pica is the eating of inedible, unnatural things. Burprenorphine at higher doses is known to cause pica in rats. Its like a compulsion to chew and they often swallow...so on the nights of most surgeries I am trying to distract these rats with pica, pulling fleece out of their mouths before they swallow etc.

Here you can see Adira in a great catch of pica...the utter focus on doing so etc

Feb2514Adiraandpicapostsurgery.jpg~original

What is pica? And she only prescribed it after the original opening of the incision should I stop giving it to her? The vet told me to give it to her three times daily
Can you switch over to Metacam for pain control? That is an NSAID so doesn't have that type of side effect. You can't use Metacam if she's on a steroid (Pred) though.

Back