Renovation ideas for cage - completed reno with pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodentmama

Ok, I built the "condo" several years ago when we first got Jimmy and Rocky. It now is looking so shabby from so many rats having lived in it, pooped and peed in it, chewed on it and generally enjoyed it. It is now retired until it gets refurbished. I'm looking for ideas on how to paint it to be both non-toxic but very durable for the rattie poos. It is made of plastic coated MDF board and in some spaces has swollen where moisture has gotten in. I'd like to sand it, maybe prime it with laquer and then paint with something that will leave a smooth, washable finish. Any ideas? Would any paint be ok if I let it outgass long enough?

The greenish colour you see was a failed painting attempt a year ago with a non-toxic paint. It just didn't stick to the MDF very well and scraped off with cleaning.

Lacking any other advice, I went with the BIN brand paint I'd used before but used their scrubbable one step version. The MDS sheet says it isn't toxic at all after it is dry, and low toxicity when wet. Even so I let the whole condo outgas without rats for two weeks. Nice fresh and new now. It is holding up nicely. I just noticed one peeling spot that was under a brick and I wonder if the abrasiveness of the brick did it. I'll maybe get some lino tiles to set under the bricks. I also ran tub sealing tape around the outer edges of the floors where the back wall has been absorbing moisture.

whole condo

bottom door open for cleaning

Alert Audio on the top shelf

Boys synchro stretch

Mo in his house

looks nice.
I have used a piece of thick linolum cut to fit over wire floors. You might find that one solid piece stuck down by you works better then the stick on tiles.

Back