renaming the Africian Soft Furred Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are more like mice and were recently brought into captivity to be bred for snake food :redhot:
From what I have read, they are not good pets.

I have 2 of them... Honestly I feel they are and they are not good as pets.
the perks are they are not smelly .. and if you have them from a young age they are more friendly but the 2 i have i got from a not good situation and i have tried and tried to work with them but they still dont trust me they Bite and they bite hard and they are so quick.
You cannot keep them in and cages with plastic as they are huge chewers. i have mine in a tank. they are diabetic by nature so they cannot have any sugar what so ever.
they are like Giant mice. and they are not like a fancy rat they dont interact with their owners like a fancy rat does.

SD531330.jpg

SD531329.jpg

I have heard that babies who are handled regularly from birth can be quite personable, that is not the norm.

They are popular amongst picky reptiles as they would be a natural food for them in the wild (the ones from africa, anyway)

They breed like crazy, and are a size somewhere between a mouse and a rat... so yes, mainly food. Since they are expensive to purchase most people get a breeding threesome and do it themselves :(

Back