regular sized rats with dwarf rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caeser

Is it okay to put regular sized rats with dwarf rats,
Im going to guess that it depends on the personality of the bigger rat. My breeder said its okay but im still a little iffy because when i search it up online 50% of people say its okay and the other %50 say its not.

I had never heard of a dwarf rat until your recent post about yours...So I honestly don't know if it would be ok or not but I think maybe you should stick with the 2 babies you have now :)

Yea im not running out and getting another one, im just curious, and dwarf rats are rats with a form of dwarfism, there around 1 3rd the size of regular rats.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAqBgLStwwg[/ame]

So basically it is like having a baby rat that never grows up?! They look super cute but I prefer my normal size babies :)

As a general rule its not advisable, especially with males. If you get a hormonal regular sized male and he attacks a dwarf...that could be very quickly fatal.

I would think some nicer females would be fine with a dwarf girl companion but I personally wouldn't chance the males especially as a very new owner you won't recognize the signs of aggression to another rat as they can be very subtle.

I would really just worry about taking care of the rats you have now, love them & be prepared for any expenses that might/probably will come up.

Rats have ended up costing me more in medical bills than any other critter I have owned.:pills::pills::pills:

And maybe later in the future only think about getting rats that need to be rescued. There are just too many breeders out there. People really need to STOP breeding them & only adopt the abused neglected rats from rescues.

Trust me im saving money. Im just curious is all. the breeder had the dwarfs with full growns but they where from the same litter so its understandable why they get along. im not even going to attempt it.

Also im going to assume dwarf rats dont need as much room as regular rats from what ive read

Last edited:
Trust me im saving money. Im just curious is all. the breeder had the dwarfs with full growns but they where from the same litter so its understandable why they get along. im not even going to attempt it.

Also im going to assume dwarf rats dont need as much room as regular rats from what ive read

Dwarfs need the same amount of room as a regular rat or even more (ideal is 2 cubic feet per rat), they are very active and will stay that way til almost a year old.

http://www.camarattery.com/dwarf-rat-info

If you had baby dwarfs and baby standards and they grew up together (as I am sure your breeders did) then it can work out, but introducing them later on...I wouldn't chance it. I have seen what a strange adult female can do to a rat pup (killed her), and I have heard of the sweetest of males killing new babies that were too young to be introduced.

Back