Red patches under nose, on chin and ears....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could be mites as this is very common in ratties. Ivermectin works but you can only give them 1/3 of 1/2 of a grain of rice sized bit of it. You may want to research this in depth. Vets also have other more toxic options, but there are also dips out there that may help.

Scabs or hairless patches could be due to excessive grooming, mites/lice(all rats in the home will have to be treated, even if it only shows up on one-- don't worry, I just did this with invermectin, and it is very easy and wasn't expensive), or even skin allergies. Do the patches look irritated?
If your girl is white, pink skin is completely normal.

For allergies, try completely eliminating any dairy or peanuts from their diet, and see if it helps.

monkeymommy said:
Joanne said:
If you can take a few pictures and post them, that would be very helpful...
Joanne said:
If you can take a few pictures and post them, that would be very helpful...

How do I post a pic?

I use photo bucket. I upload the photo into there and then copy/paste the img code (its on the left side of the screen) into the post. There are some instructions here if it helps, but a lot of the links are now broken. viewtopic.php?f=82&t=32676

Aida said:
Scabs or hairless patches could be due to excessive grooming, mites/lice(all rats in the home will have to be treated, even if it only shows up on one-- don't worry, I just did this with invermectin, and it is very easy and wasn't expensive), or even skin allergies. Do the patches look irritated?
If your girl is white, pink skin is completely normal.

For allergies, try completely eliminating any dairy or peanuts from their diet, and see if it helps.

Do I get this through the vet?

There is six females in a double cn....I tried taking pics but they really don't show the pink well. I don't give them much dairy, they mostly turn away when I try yogurt or cheese. As for the peanuts I will eliminate those....if it was lice, where would it come from?

monkeymommy said:
....if it was lice, where would it come from?
You can pick up buggies from bedding/paper products, or any recently introduced rats, even if they showed no signs.

You can also post pictures very easily with the Tapatalk app on your smart phone.

a9uteny6.jpg

Ok so the pic is not that clear....but kinda gives an idea of what it looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that scabs or raw skin? Look around the chin/mouth area for scabs if you find them you most likely have mites. All bedding and wood products need to be frozen for 48-72 hours before use.

I would probably treat for mites just be on the safe side. If there is no change or it get worse then you at least ruled out one of the more common ones

It's not scabs, just red/pink skin...her right ear does have a scab....the invermectin, I searched it and it sells on amazon, a paste and liquid, is that what I should be giving her? I was using yesterday's news but for the past few weeks I have been using boxo when I ran out of yesterday's news....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joanne said:
Does the change in bedding correspond to the appearance of the red patches?

Revolution is nice in that it is a one-time dose.
If you get the Ivermectin, I believe you need to dose the rats three weeks in a row.

Link to the Rat Guide for Revolution:
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infective ... lution.php

Link to the Rat Guide for Ivermectin:
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php

It does! I hadn't used that type in so long that I forgot I used to microwave it before putting it in their cage because of mites! It's weird when the rats we had a few years back got them (the reason we switched litter) there was no sign until we took them to a vet and she spotted one! I'm going to treat for mites and definitely pick up new bedding/litter....Thanks everyone for all the help!

Back