Recovering Rat Hasn't Peed or Pooped

Discussion in 'General Rat Chat & Photos' started by Negoonus, Jan 9, 2020.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Jan 9, 2020 #1

Negoonus

Negoonus

Negoonus

Hi guys our rat oreo just had a large tumor removed 2 days ago and since then has been put under twice, once for the surgery and once because her incision opened up. She really is all out of sorts after coming home today. She finally started eating a few minutes ago and does drink but everything needs to be right in front of her mouth. We're not exactly sure how much food and water is a good amount for her.

She hasn't peed or pooped in over 6 hours. Is there a way to induce this?

She also likes to burry her head, we were wondering if there's a particular reason for this.

Thanks for the help

2. Jan 9, 2020 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

where was the tumor?
    Pictures?
    video? (post on youtube and put link on here)

What meds is she on? What is her weight? Strength of the med (mg/ml)? Amount given (mls)? and how often?
    Any signs of pain? Rats do not normally bother their incisions oif they are getting pain control http://ratguide.com/health/basics/signs_of_pain_in_rats.php
    Does she live with other rats?
    Is she still groggy etc from surgery?
    Let her eat and drink as much as she wants. Soft foods will be easier for her to eat and help her to stay hydrated …. such as her blocks soaked in cool water to make mush, cooked vegs, baby food, etc

If you put her in a container for a short while, on paper towel you will be able to tell if she is peeing

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Negoonus likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2020 #3

Dena

Dena

Dena

Was she sent home with pain meds? If so, what's the strength and dosage. Pain can really cause some weird symptoms, and as you know, when you are in pain, you have a hard time wanting to do much else than make the pain go away. Could be the reason she opened her incision as well...

4. Jan 9, 2020 #4

Negoonus

Negoonus

Negoonus

Oh shes sh bad pain. I cant for the life of me get her to take her pain meds. She wont won or drink at this point from the pain i think and i dont have a clue what the hell to do. I'm going to be calling the vet for help when they open today.

The tumor was from front leg to back leg. We didnt want it to grow to that size but the first vet we saw sold us on the idea that it would kill her no matter what. It was until sores came up that i had to search around until i found an amazing vet.

The problem right now is pain meds. I'm guessing were passed the point of feeding her her meds and need a vet to intervene.

5. Jan 9, 2020 #5

Negoonus

Negoonus

Negoonus

Update. Oreo passed. She just keeled over. I managed to get her to drink but i dont know what happened she just started twitching and stopped breathing. I tried to revive her but i didnt know wtf i was doing i i w just trying. Thanks for the replies.

6. Jan 9, 2020 #6

Dena

Dena

Dena

Omg I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope you take comfort knowing she's at peace now. :(

Negoonus likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2020 #7

Negoonus

Negoonus

Negoonus

8. Jan 9, 2020 #8

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

The 2nd surgery may have been too much for her. :( Pain medications are absolutely vital after surgery and a lot of vets underdose them as well. Just something to think of for the future. I am so very sorry you lost your girl :(

Negoonus likes this.
  9. Jan 12, 2020 #9

Rocket99

Rocket99

Rocket99

I have never been able to get sick or injured old rats to willingly take meds. They can be easy to convince their whole life, but as soon as they know they are in serious condition they get skeptical of anything abnormal, which is when they need to trust you the most. I usually have to resort to forced syringe feeding of meds at this point. It's dangerous if done wrong cuz you can cause them to choke and suffocate, so learn how to correctly do it first. Good luck .

Negoonus likes this.
  10. Jan 12, 2020 #10

Negoonus

Negoonus

Negoonus

Unfortunately she passed soon after we created the thread. Thank you, we did get her to take water with electrolytes and her pain meds, it was just her time.

What is the right way to force feed? I read that you need to go real slow with it and thats what we did.

11. Jan 13, 2020 #11

Kye

Kye

Kye

I'm sorry for your loss.. To do it correctly you must go slow and place the syringe in the side of the mouth and allow them to swallow. They can still suffocate on it but it's less likely to happen

Negoonus likes this.
  12. Jan 13, 2020 #12

Negoonus

Negoonus

Negoonus

Thanks. Ya thats pretty much what i i d and we went small amounts at a time thank you though.

Kye likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted