Recheck for Lumpy Storm

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
My sweet Butter Bean is gone now and his brother decides he wants a lump too. UGH!!!
The lump is near the cheek, neck, ear, my first thought was a tooth abscess. I brought him to my vet, she aspirated it, analyzed it and it turns out to be a cyst which could be due to a blocked salivary gland.
She drained the lump but by the time I picked him up, it was even bigger. It's filling up quickly. My vet suggests we wait and see. It might resolve on it's own but will consider surgical removal if it becomes too big. This is a tricky operation due to it's location. So... lets hope the lump just disappears. :(

StormLump2_zpsfb151942.jpg

StormLump1_zps59c38fc0.jpg

Maybe it will turn into something like Twiggy had?...gross, nasty abscess but I was able to take care of it. Poor lad, I am so sorry for both of you, but glad its nothing a lot worse.

Not allowed maybe he chewed the memo instead of read it?

I hope it is simple and just stops filling up.

Poor wee fellow. One of my past boys, Tiggies, had a similar situation, just below the left ear. It came up as a hard lump. Had it aspirated, like you did, and pus came out. I paid $500 for a vet to surgically clean it all out. It filled up again less than a week later. I used regular warm saline compresses to get it to open a little, kept him on antibiotics, and gently got the pus out regularly. The vet had said some rats, often males, are just more 'prone' to this sort of thing. It took almost seven months of steady cleaning and meds before the thing finally went away on its own. It was that persistent. So don't give up; it may take you some time to treat this, but it is probably very treatable.

Healing vibes for the little guy I really hope it sorts out on its own I got my fingers crossed for him

I figured I should update. Storm still has his lump, in fact it's bigger than ever but he's adapting quite well with it. My biggest concern is his ability to eat and that doesn't seem to be an issue yet.
So... we wait and see.

StormLump2_zps49e94872.jpg

StormLump3_zps97a1d8df.jpg

StormLump1_zps9ee145fe.jpg

Aww poor lad, that looks like a tumour now. Glad he's adapting well :) He might need held grooming/scrattching his chest and shoulder on that side, the tumour probably blocks it when he's bending round during grooming.

Back