Recently adopted sister rats (Ones Pregnant!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AnimalLover21

Hello all! I recently adopted two sister rats, I was told one is pregnant and she is clearly bigger than the other in the tummy area. I have a bin with plenty of ventilation at the top and nothing for the babies to potentially harm themselves with. However her and her sister are still in their wire cage (fleece is down) and I was not told if she got pregnant recently or not as they were free adoptions at petsmart and they didn't know poop about them. They are very sweet but still timid and I'm trying to bond with them but not push the mom's buttons at the same time. Anywho I really need help with figuring out if I should seperate them and when? (They have not fought and cuddle every night) but I know I read the mom might get cranky and lash out ect also didn't know if it would be safe to have her sister in their with the babies. When should I seperate them? I don't have the strongest relationship with them since it's only the 3rd day I've had them so I didn't want to stress them out with the environment and me being so new but don't want to endanger the babies in anyway. I've named them Buttercup and Blossom was told they should be around 6-7 months old and I'd appreciate any help! I looked at other pregnant rat threads but couldn't find info on having 1 pregnant rat sister so new to an owner and what to do about placement. Again sorry for the speech and thank you for any help

I did find a thread touching on my topic and most answers were there.

Oh good to hear you found some answers. The best way to determine how the pregnancy is going and how far along it is, will be by weighing both your girls on a digital scale. For all you know they were both exposed to males but only one is having a large litter. The weight gain would be a steady increase pretty much daily. Once you have a pattern we should be able to tell. Little momma will need lots of nutricious food and a bit of extra protein in her diet to help with the pregnancy and the growing babies.

I have kept girls together who were heavily bonded but I don't know if I would do it again. bit of a story on why.

Thank you so much for reply! I didn't even come close to thinking about weight difference I'll get that done asap! Buttercup is becoming a little more aggressive as the days go (the one with the smaller tummy) I held the clearly big momma moments ago and she was eager to get back to her cage so I didn't push it and let her go back and her sister Blossom who is sweet as can be nibbled me three times! I am sure I do not smell of food and she has not done this before so I'd like to not upset either but was told not to let them be unsocial. Trying to help these girls is seeming to be alot more then just letting her have her babies. I've had a rat in the past but he was a xl all white male rat and I didn't have to learn about pregnancy. Should I seperate them? Should I also let them be until after the babies with this new aggression? I'm going to weigh and take pictures of them tomorrow to help, I just don't want to mess anything up and want to help in anyway possible. I did give them nesting material and they have done wonders on three nests spots (even though I will move them into a safe bin with no levels...dont know when too Tho..) So I think your right they both might be but one is clearly bigger. Maybe I should go very basic and make sure they even adopted me two females? I really appreciate your response and any info you may have. Thank you a million times for your help this seems to be a very situational case and I'd love to hear about your experience
Thank you!
-AnimalLover21

the new "nippiness" can also be a sign of pregnancy. Sigh.

Get some weights today and then tomorrow at the same time and then I'll help you figure out your next move.

Back