Recent Bloodshed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi All,

I am having a problem with my boys, similar to the issues that SQ was describing in her "Fighting" thread. However, we have cuts and blood.

I have had my 2 dumbo males since they were 6 weeks, they are about 17 months now. A month ago i added 2 new males rats, i think they are adolescents. Intros went extremely well and within 1 week they were all living together.

I think it was yesterday or the day before i noticed one of the young one's neck all scabby, quite gruesome. (like SQ i have also just treated for mites). Today i saw Gobo (one of the older ones) fighting with the other young one. And tonight i came down and Gobo has scratches and blood on him. Just a couple of days ago i posted about Gobo not sleeping with the group and i think i know why now - he is beating the young ones up.

Gobo is currently on antibiotics for a resp. infection.

Could this be a power struggle?
Because there i blood i am wondering if i should separate the 2 pair?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tara

Geez, they were ok for a month? Has anything changed? Their location, diet, bedding, your habits, the smell in their room? I'm sorry I have more questions than answers. Unless it's something external that's bugging them then it would have to be the 2 younger ones hormones kicking in and them not feeling like they need looking after anymore and wanting to run the show, wouldn't it?

If I send you a SASE would you send me Wembley?

If I send you a SASE would you send me Wembley?
Wembley is the only one staying out of trouble! hehe. Actually i have no idea what a SASE is!

Recent changes...
-Gobo went on antibiotics for the RI
-they all got treated with Revolution for mites
-i switched from homemade food to a block, at least 3 weeks ago.

I guess its a power struggle, but i don't know what to do. I don't want them ripping eachother apart. Poor Gobo is going bald so he doesn't have much protection.

I think Gobo is the instigator but i can't be 100% sure.

The young ones were definitely afraid of him when they first got together.

During meal times the young ones do seem more nervous and take their food away.

Just yesterday i saw Boober attempt to get into the igloo but backed out because Gobo was in there.

When Gobo was fighting with Pedley (a young one) it seemed like Pedley finally gave in and left the hammock to hide in a tube. Then Gobo went over to the tube and did that back-arch side-walking move.

Gobo is not acting as if he feels sick or in pain at all (i don't think anyway).

Well, it's seems that Gobo is the alpha and he's just making sure everyone knows it no matter what. You could have him neutered which would probably stop all bloodshed. Or you can wait it out... It hasn't been that long that they've been together. Let Gobo flex is muscle and see if the younger ones will accept him as alpha. If they do, your cage will settle, if they don't, things will get worse. But give it a few more months to see what happens.
Gobo might be a very gentle alpha but fighting his infection might be making him grumpy. Or the young ones might sense that Gobo is ill and so the alpha position might be up for grabs and so Gobo has to "hurt" the young ones to keep them in check.

So keep them together and hope for the best?

They were separated over night. The old guys spent the night in the play area. I have just put them back in the cage. As soon as Boober came near him Gobo started some back arching.

We will see what happens.

Thanks for all your advice - i will keep you posted.

Tara

Gobo is definately the instigator:
The young ones have been hiding in the tunnel that connects the 2 cages for a while now and Gobo seem to be guarding the entrance to the big cage.

He's definitely showing his dominance.
Keep in mind that each time you separate them, it starts all over again with the dominance.
Add lots of smaller hidey homes and tubes if you can, this will give the young lads a place to run to for shelter but if they continue to be scared for over a couple of more months, then perhaps it would be wise to think about a neuter or separation.

UPDATE:

After a few more fights but no more blood it looks like the boys have reconciled. They are sleeping together again! Horray!

Thanks for all your help and support!

Tara

Back