Reasons people think rats are gross?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

I was just thinking about this...
What reasons have people told you for thinking rats are gross or scary?

I feel like, as rat owners, we've probably all heard "ew!" at least once from someone we know.
I always try to ask people about why they think they're so gross.
Honestly the only answer I've ever gotten was because of their tails! People mostly say they don't know why they think rats are gross or scary when I ask but my SIL did tell me she is scared of their tails.
Rat tails are so much fun to pet though!

So, what have you guys heard? :0

I work at a pet store and I will say this:
1. Tails
2. Tails
3. Tails
Everytime a suggest a rat for a pet:
"EW! Their tails are soooooo gross!"
"Don't they carry diseases?"
"Why would I want a pet rat? Hamsters are way cuter."
It's very annoying. Only some people are open minded. I can tell you around 2 out of 40 customers who come in wanting a small animal leave with a rat. It sucks. :sad2:

Tails and plague :scratch:

I always tell them that they need their tails to balance and to regulate their body temperature. When folks realise that their tails actually have an important purpose for existing, other than to repulse and scare people, it tends to give them another perspective.

I actually ended a friendship with someone because she insulted my rats in their own home by 'jokingly' saying her brother would like to get his cat round here. In my house! She thought it was funny. B****.

I actually ended a friendship with someone because she insulted my rats in their own home by 'jokingly' saying her brother would like to get his cat round here. In my house! She thought it was funny. B****.

When ppl say that, I tell them I have a nice constrictor snake that would like to sample that cat. We are now better friends than ever :twisted:

Honestly, if I ditched everyone that insulted my rats, I would have no friends or family. I just get all gooey and talk about how sweet they are and make them look at pictures and if they are at my house, come and see them, and even hold them (unless they are too scared, which some people are!)
Gotta let that water roll off your back, ducky! Life's too short to let the small-mindedness of people get to you!

And yes, TAILs are the #1 reason, for sure.

Oh she had to go Joanne. One of those toxic friendships but the way she said it, it was straw that broke the camels back. I'm very bonded with my animals because I don't have many humans in my life that I trust. I've been hurt a lot, especially by people I should of trusted the most. She knew that. Just the image of her bringing her brothers cat over and hurting my babies made my blood boil. She knew what the rats meant to me. Animals are my world. she had to go! Otherwise I'm pretty hardened to it. Folks have their opinions. Nothing you can do about that unfortunately.

Tails mostly - I'll admit they kind of freaked me out too as my first set of boys grew from baby tails to rat man tails.... but not anymore...

because of this

10978585_10152692035246409_7704551803230844089_n.jpg

LMAO Peggy! I don't have room to talk there, I'm not a fan of rat balls myself. XD

Wow it's wild how many people list tails... I figured "disease/plague" would be second, although we all know that one is bull.
I always like rat tails, I guess people do tend to be freaked out by "scaley" things though?

Ahh I can't believe anyone would pick a hamster over a rat. I mean, no offense to them, but I've never met a nice hamster in my life. O_O'

LMAO Peggy! I don't have room to talk there, I'm not a fan of rat balls myself. XD

Wow it's wild how many people list tails... I figured "disease/plague" would be second, although we all know that one is bull.
I always like rat tails, I guess people do tend to be freaked out by "scaley" things though?

Ahh I can't believe anyone would pick a hamster over a rat. I mean, no offense to them, but I've never met a nice hamster in my life. O_O'

My hammie is actually super sweet and is completely okay with being handled. C: he even jumps into my hands and has never bitten me even when I accidentally wake him.

466a0e1c3ff915406f5933186bbe32e8.jpg

Although, as much as I love my ham. Rats really stole my heart ^^

Also I think rat balls are cute >-<

He's cute, but he does like grumpy too haha!
Maybe one day I'll meet a nice hamster too then! :)

I think a lot of people think rat balls are cute.. for some reason?? Wasn't there like a whole thread dedicated to rat ball pictures? X3

Tails tails tails and tails.. occasionally someone ignorant enough to think they carry diseases.

These prejudices against rats have existed since they came to the west - and they've lingered throughout the centuries. It's come to the point where some people can't comprehend the difference between wild and domestic rats.. which is insane, because they can obviously tell the difference between dogs, who are trained and bred to be companions - and wild dogs, that kill chickens and attack humans

Here in Mexico people think that rats= dirty, I spent a loooooot of time explaing to my grandmother that they dont come to magically exist if a place is dirty as some kind of spontaneous generation. *rolls eyes*
haven't heard much about tails yet, my little nephew was petting Smeagol today and his only concern was getting bitten, thankfully they ended up being friends.

Back