RB's noises

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

Hi, everyone

RB has been making these grunting type of noises lately, and has been taking more rests when he's out running around. We took him to the vet today, and although they said his lungs sounded and looked okay (they took an xray!), the video I showed them clearly showed the sounds he's been making, cause he didn't make them at the vet. He's been sent home with Baytril for 2 weeks.

Can you confirm the dose for me? He's been given the 12.5mg/ml at 0.25ml BID. He's 600G.

https://youtu.be/NgFyjS6Eitc Here is the video of his noises. What does this sound like to you guys? Is it an upper resp flare-up? Is it in his lungs, or nose?

Check out his xray! :)

I'm no good with doses at all, sorry!

I listened to the video but didn't hear anything, this could be because my ears are blocked from being sick

Hopefully someone with better ears and math skills will be along soon!

handsome boy, though! <3

I can't tell anything from the video either,
but he is only getting 3.1 mg of baytril twice a day

Baytril is usually given at 5 mg/Ib or 10 mg/kg .... so he should be getting 6 mg to 6.6 mg twice a day
He is getting half (or less then half) of what he should be getting as he should be getting 0.5 ml to 0.52 ml twice a day
(see http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php )
Also, respir. issues are usually treated for at least 4 weeks (6 weeks is usually better) or the rattie is not over it and symptoms will soon reappear.

Dr Steward at Islandview and in New Maryland is the only vet I would trust with a rat
I have no idea where you took RB but I would suggest you try Dr Stewart

If RB isn't doing better within a few days, I would suggest that you add zithro
btw Dr Stewart is extremely experienced at treating all sorts of issues in rats, including heart issues.

Hope RB is soon feeling much better

Last edited:
I couldn't hear either. I agree about the baytril though. A handy tip for getting ratties to take that awful stuff (it tastes disgusting!) is to mix a few drops of oatmeal on a big spoon, with a non-dairy milk. Or some baby cereal with a little water. They will lap it up and it will mask the taste. Dairy will counteract baytril though and stop it from working as well so it's best to avoid it.

That is one adorable rattie. Licky licky :) By the way, be really wary of the vets trying to fleece every penny out of you. In my opinion, that x-ray was a little unnecessary. If rats are making noises, first treat with antibiotics. If the antibiotics don't take care of the problem, I would only then consider getting an x-ray to investigate. That must have been really expensive.

Hope your rattie feels better soon and you get the noise taken care of. That is one cute baby!

Thanks everyone. We think he's pretty cute, too!

I know my phone does this weird whirring noise in videos, but the noises RB's making are those grunting, whooping, crackling noises.

The vets didn't charge for the xray, they wanted to do it for their own peace of mind to be absolutely sure they weren't missing anything.

I had him to Dr Stewart when we first got him, and he prescribed us the exact same dose for the same length of time.

Perhaps the baytril was a different strength as I have been taking rats to him for approx. 11 years and he prescribes a stronger dose for baytrril then you were given
Anyway, hope RB is soon feeling better

Did they say anything about the xray? That looks like a clear chest to me. At least anything clearer than I've seen on my boys. See on mine on the cloudy area which is fluid...
0c7f132c437227a4e7c78470aac72afb.jpg

Back