Rattie walking low to the ground. What's wrong with her?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking of you. This is so hard. Many of my PT rats became unconscious and then died at home. If you can keep her hydrated she might make it to tomorrow. A vet could give sub-Q fluids if she can't take liquid from a syringe.

Thank you so much. It means a lot.
I just got her to the vet for a dex shot and also fluids. I will see how she does through the night and go from there. ugh....so this whole process is so painful.
I hope her breathing calms down....she struggles sometimes.

UPDATE:
Thank you ALL so much.

So the DEX shot helped significantly. Her breathing has improved (no more gasping) and she has slight mobility. She cannot walk at all, but it's sort of a sad crawl...but much better than yesterday where she was literally a dead fish.
I just got the BROMO from the pharmacy, so lets see if that helps her!

I guess once the DEX wears off in the next day or so, I will start her on the Prednisone to do in conjunction with the Bromo. It will be a miracle if she lives through this...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my little one.

Thank you all for everything. I will let you know how the Bromo goes!

-M

Thank you everyone!
So I'm only on day one of Bromo...so no change yet...but I'm hoping.

She was moving around a little better this morning...but now is back to not being able to walk. I wonder....do you guys know if it's better to be on Bromo and Dex instead of Bromo and Prednisone? When she got the Dex injection, she improved in 10 hours. I think Dex comes in a liguid form to eat with food too right?

I'm just trying to figure this out...
Indie is REALLY depressed. She is listless and cannot walk at all. She will eat as long as I feed it through a syringe....but how is that a way to live?
Let me know if any of you know more about the Dex? In the meantime, I will sit here and wait for the Bromo to hopefully help my little girl!

Thank you MUCH!

UPDATE #2:

Okay, so...I'm going to say a BIG knock on wood as I know things can change daily and I just appreciate any extra days I have with my little one, BUT...

So far her breathing is great! it really is amazing. She was literally gasping and grunting for air and after the Dex shot, it all smoothed out.
And the BROMO. She is on day TWO and I see improvement. She still drags, but can now crawl pretty quickly. I've temporarily nick named her Speedy Gonzales because one moment I see her, then next moment....she has crawled somewhere else! She cannot grab food yet, but can now eat semi-solid foods on her own without the syringe. Her eyes look brighter too.
She can now groom her legs a bit, but still tips over when she tries to itch herself. I would LOVE to see her walk normally again, but I guess we'll see. It's only day two. Either way, I'm just happy to have more time with her. She came up to me today and bruxed and looked deeply into my eyes. It felt like she was happy and telling me thank you for helping her when she wasn't well. This whole ordeal has brought us closer.
She is still sad (her sister died recently) and sleeps a lot...but at least she is back to boggling, bruxing and hiccuping! I haven't seen that for a week since she has been sick.

I will keep monitoring her on Bromo and keep you all updated on the progress!
Mucho love to this lovely rat community. I don't know what I would do without you!

-M

Hi Joanne!
She was doing better, however yesterday, a few hours after her bromo dose, her eyes started to squint and she seemed listless. I'm wondering if the full dose is too much for her. I'm contemplating lowering the dosage. This morning her walking seemed worse.

I know everyday can be different, but I'm a little worried.

Wondering if I should lower her bromo dose or ween her off of Pred?

-M

hi!
some of you have mentioned using DEX with Bromo. I got Indie injected with Dex when she was knocking on death's door...then I put her on Bromo 2 days later (earliest I was able to get it.). Right now she is on Bromo and Pred, but I'm wondering if she should be on Bromo and DEX instead? Dex seemed to helped her significantly when she got the injection.

Do you know if it comes in liquid form so I could feed it to her through a syringe orally or must it always be injected? Also, how long and often can you keep a rat on Dex? I seem to remember you can't keep them on it long? I don't know if I have the correct info...

She seems to be getting worse again. And when she had Dex in her system, she seemed so much better....
-M

So sad that Bromo and Pred aren't helping.

I think that Dex is only administered by injection and that it can only be give. For five days in a row max. Lilspaz has used Dex often, so best to wait for her opinion if you can't get to a vet right away.

You can get Dex in an oral suspension or you can speak to your vet about giving injections at home. Dex in the long term is not ideal because depresses the immune system much more than Pred. I believe Dex is just faster acting than Pred, so it wouldn't have a much greater effect than Pred in the long term.

When I used to use steroid therapy instead of Bromo to treat PTs, about half of my rats developed serious pneumonia. (I've only ever given Pred.) You need to give antibiotics if you're giving any steroid with rats, make sure your vet gives you some. (It's not as big a deal with cats and dogs so a lot of vets won't prescribe antibiotics out of precaution.)

I struggle with this.
When she had the Dex injection, she got better..but she never got back to normal or had full use of her legs or arms. She would crawl and drag herself everywhere. She seems so down and sad.

I think about her quality of life and I never know if I should put her down or not.
Last week when she almost died, she was gasping for air and she was suffering so much. I don't want to wait for that to happen again before putting her to sleep. I hate making these decisions. Do I just keep going back for a Dex shot every week, even though she still struggles to move? I feel like I'm keeping her alive for me because I don't want to let go of her...instead of thinking about whether she is happy.

I hear most PT rats go unconscious and then pass at home. I hope this for Indie...but I don't know if that will be the case, since she was suffocating the last time.

This is all too painful. I just went through this with my last rat Feather last month. Putting down an animal doesn't feel natural. We all just want our little ratties happy right?

:cry:

Back