Rattie ships that pass in the night

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

Socrates and his brother were abandoned by their owner, who apparently showed up at the vet's office one day, all her belongings packed in her car, on her way out of town. She'd stopped at the vet's office first to request Socrates and his brother be euthanized. The vet looked them over, and saw they were in great health, and refused to euthanize them. The owner threatened to abandon them there, but the vet convinced her to allow him to keep both rats instead, and try to find a new home for them.

.. enter Ottawa Pet Rat Rescue...

The vet generously offered to neuter both boys at a reduced rate, and OPRats would rehome them. Sadly, there was an unexpected issue during surgery for one boy, and he did not make it. He had already beaten the odds once.. maybe it was just his time. But Socrates was not ready to leave us yet. He did very well in surgery, and two days later, on Wednesday, during the snow storm, I drove to the vet's to pick him up.

We got to my home lunch time that day, and the plan was to bring him to the rescue that evening. But by then, the snow storm was so severe, it was just not safe to drive. So we agreed i'd bring him in the morning instead... which meant I got to spend the evening with Socrates! Nothing could have pleased me more!

I have yet to meet another soul so gentle and accepting of his life as Socrates. He was doing well in his recovery from surgery, and he was so very happy to have a chance to roam around my home, that even though I'd fixed up a lovely little temporary cage for him, he preferred to sleep outside the cage, in utter freedom. A freedom he likely hadn't known much of in a long time, if ever.

Here is Socrates resting in freedom, in peace, and fully aware that he was safe and sound...

Both my husband and I were touched by his gentle nature. What a special man rat.

I didn't have any rat food at home, so I fed him bits of fresh spinach, banana, spaghetti, rice cake and soda crackers, cooked peas and corn, and applesauce. He was very happy to try bits of everything, and I felt strangely whole having him there to nurture.

I slept near his cage that night so that maybe he would feel less alone after loosing his brother and any human family he might have known. In the morning, we took the ride together to OPRats headquarters, where he spent the day in a big beautiful cage, until the entire family adopting him came to meet him, and bring him to his forever home that afternoon.

They are one lucky family...

Socrates is one very lovely man rat...

Have a great life, Socrates! I'm so glad we had this time together...

I just hate when owners do that. I am glad to see so many vets refusing to do it. Lucky boys to get a new start on a good life.

Back