Rattie Rooms...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marylou

I have a question, do most of you keep your rats in a separate room? Or do you keep them in the mainstream of the home????

Mine are in the dining room, which we don't use, but it is in the hub of the home.

At night when I get home from work, we set up tables and tunnels in the living room and let the girls run wild, they love it.

We are also starting the intro of Kia and Dora to the older girls, they get on great while out, not sure if I really want them all in the same cage. We have a FN 161 and love it.

It is good to keep rat cages in the main rooms of your home so that the rats receive a great deal of interaction.
This isn't possible for everyone.
People have various types of play areas for their rats and these areas may or may not be in the well used areas of the home.

My cages are in the living room area of my apartment and the living room area, including the couch, is their free range play area.

I have a rat room. It is FULL of cages, and we have a small home. It is located off of the office, so it's always got someone in or around it, lol!
here's a pic of my wall of FN's, i've got 5, the 6th one is comming in Feb.!
and they're ALL full!

The critternation is right in the living room so my babies get lots of attention. I don't have a dining room table at the moment, so we eat at the coffee table in the living room...and I just love all the sets of eyes that are watching me eat-as if they are trying to psychicly get me to fork over the grub.

I have a one bedroom apartment (which is basically 4 rooms...the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, and the "big room" where everything is). My rats are in the "big room" between the office and living room sections. I love being able to see them all the time.

My ratties are in one of my bedrooms. I can't have them on the main level as I am still training dogs and would be uneasy every time I had to go out. I would love to have them in my bedroom but its not a good idea to have gerbils and rats in the same room so the spare room has become theirs. Although they don't see anyone through the day, at night I just close the main door, open up the CN and they can wonder the whole room safely. Works for me and I think it works for them too. :D

Mine have their own room. I have dogs and cats and am worried about an accident when I'm not home. The dogs get locked up, but the cats have range of the house. With their own room, I don't have to worry about that. Mine come out for a lot of play time and I spend a lot of time in the rat room (since I have so many cages to clean on a daily basis).

The rats are in the bedroom and they get have free run of the room for about an hour each night. We just have to be careful that they don't get into the closet or the wardrobe and chew holes in everything! In the past we've also had issues with power cords, but the girls we have now seem uninterested.

Our rabbits, who happen to be terrified of the rats, live in a corral attached to their cage in the living room. I'd love to just let them roam but they are too fond of chewing power cord and furniture. In the summer I put their cage on our huge balcony, which has outdoor carpeting, so that they get more exercise but they are often to scared to even leave the cage. :roll:

The mice also live in the living room at the moment (the rabbit are nervous of them too :doh: ), but when I wean them the boys will move into our second bedroom until I rehome them.

henry's_mum said:
I have a rat room. It is FULL of cages, and we have a small home. It is located off of the office, so it's always got someone in or around it, lol!
here's a pic of my wall of FN's, i've got 5, the 6th one is comming in Feb.!
and they're ALL full!

Holy smokes Lindsy! That's an impressive setup!

We have a 3 bedroom apt so we are able to have a rat/rodent room. It also has our computers in it so generally someone is in there.
Plus we have 3 cats so its nice to be able to shut the door from them.

My ratties stay in my bedroom because I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of them being anywhere near the kitchen or dining room and my living room doesnt have the space for the FN. So for now they are in my room but one day (when I build my own house) I intend on having a room off the living room that will be a pet room.

They are in my bedroom, taking up the last bit of space I have lol. I am going to have to use my imagination once I get the bigger cage, I still need to fit more shelving in here somehow :s

OMG, henry's_mum, that is a lotta cages!! :thud:

My rats have taken over what used to be my little room with a small couch and my computer. As the cages got bigger and more numerous (two CNs and an FN), the couch had to go. Now the rats have taken over everything but a small part of the room. Their playpen is in a big open area near to the kitchen, and their laundry-folding area and occasional intro spot has taken over the spare bedroom. on the enclosed area at the back of the house (and in part of the basement) are their holiday cages.

Do you think that they might be trying to edge us out of the house??????

What a good idea for a topic/ thread! Interesting to see what others do with their setups. My CN with 4 boys is in my office. I have 3 cats - not allowed in here, but my little pom Mecca thinks the lower storage level of the cage is hers = lol. I spend a lot of time in here working, with the cage doors open and the boys wandering in and out. Mecca (the dog) goes right inside the cage sometimes! She and the rats are very friendly with each other! It all makes for a very enjoyable work space!! My husband hangs out here a lot too.

here's some new pics taken!

from the door, looking in the room

My sewing station, and also Tom and Jacks home, lol-only the top of shelving unit is fabric for sale, lol the rest is cage fabrics, and liners...

across from the sewing area

across for the doorway

Back