Rattie losses 2007 - please post yours

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderrodent

I thought we could post all of our fur kids we lost this year -a tribute to our wonderful friends. Please post your pictures of your rats. This way we all have an overview of all of the rat shack members' ratties that passed away (sometimes we just can't keep track or missed a post).

I'll start with Chailyn, 10/08/05 - 12/10/07. I love you, my gorgeous sweetheart! :heart:

DSCN9575.jpg

Well, maybe that's a stupid idea because it's all on the "gone but not forgotten" page anyway. The overview on that page is very good. So never mind. The mods can certainly delete this post.

I don't think this should be deleted, I think it is a good idea. I feel better about adding my boys when it is a consolidation so they are with other people's rats and not all on their own.

I think its a wonderful idea Astrid. I haven't been posting on here as much and some of the members may not know me as well as others. In here its "Know My Rats, Know Me". :mrgreen:

2007 started off badly but tailed off after that. It was technically a better year than 2006. ::) Some people already know about most of my babies that passed, but others may not, so I am posting them all here.

Tikal to PT at 17 months
sweetTikal.jpg

Sebastian at 38 months, blind, mostly paralysed, independent, but ohhh so happy. A once-in-a-lifetime rat.
Sebastianmybraveboyat3.jpg

Rafiki at 23 months, one of the original Biter Girls I adopted. :) She and Sebastian bonded and fell in love in less than a week before I let them go.
RafikiandIclose.jpg

Ariel at 17 months, one of my Stratford Rescue Rats, who is now immortalized under Pituitary Tumor Figure 2 in the Ratguide.
ArielonMarch4-07.jpg

Talli, the remaining oldie I took in from the local HS. Her sister was only with us for 1.5 months, but Talli stuck around, biting turned to nipping, then to licking...
Tallionherlastnightcropped.jpg

Maddy came to me when Notamuised was going through some hard times. We fought hard with a throat abscess, but in the end we had to stop and I let her go peacefully when she was 28 months old
bravelittleMaddy.jpg

Selene at 25 months, my brave big warrior girl, is also immortalized on the Ratguide under Pyoderma Figure 4. What an amazing and inspiring rat she was. I miss her terribly.
Selenetheserene.jpg

Hestia at 26 months, to an ulcerated tumour...my poor standoffish girl ended up being the sweetest thing in the world.
SleepingHestia.jpg

Ortiz at 13 months old, my little Wildling who had what we think was a defective heart. He went downhill so fast we never got a chance to see if the heart meds were working. He left me in true wildling fashion, with a big bite and a pool of blood. :heart:
Ortizsept134.jpg

Portia, Ariel's sister, at 24 months, the last of an era of my Special Rats (I used to call them my Happy Rats, they would accept oldies and sickie strangers in their midst and take care of them until it was their time to go...).
Portialookshugehere.jpg

Kamali at 21 months to a chronic URI that wouldn't be treated anymore. Kamali came to me as a 4.5 week old baby on a special rat train from New Brunswick. This wee girl picked me. I picked her up and she settled calmly in my hands and slept there. Then she crawled to the back of my neck and slept there too. I was afraid to put her back in with her identical siblings because I would lose her. Someone kindly brought out a Sharpie for me :) A real sweet lady this one. The first of the original Horde to pass. *sniff*
Dilbert, my goofy, bouncy boy nursemaided her constantly. He was always nearby when she wasn't well. When she responded to her meds, he would be off, but I would know that she wasn't well again when her beloved shadow was beside, under her again. He was soo gentle with her and was depressed for days after I took her in to be pts. :(
DilbertandKamali2Nov12.jpg

I miss them all very much. :cry:

It's definitely a most wonderful idea!! Any chance to remember our past rats is a most treasured time.

My losses of 2007:

Felix May 13 2005 - Feb 6th 2007

smFelixincage.jpg

Silas Dec 22 2005 - April 29th 2007

Oneofthesharks.jpg

Moose Dec 22nd 2005 - May 30th 2007

smallSilas.jpg

Mister June 2004 - Aug 8th 2007

smMister.jpg

Trésor April 2nd 2005 - Aug 10th 2007

Tresor4.jpg

Zane April 3rd 2005 - Aug 15th 2007

Zaneinthepaper.jpg

Sheep July 13th 2007 - Aug 31st 2007 :cry:

smBoo06.jpg

Bijou March 28th 2004 - Sept 3rd 2007

smBijou-1.jpg

Dallas May 13th 2005 - Oct 16th 2007

smSweetagouti.jpg

Bobby Dec 29th 2005 - Oct 17th 2007

smWhiteguy.jpg

Couscous May 2005 - Oct 19th 2007

smCouscous01.jpg

Neela May 2nd 2005 - Oct 19th 2007

smNeelaprisonbars.jpg

Simon May 13th 2005 - Dec 20th 2007

smSimonrelaxing.jpg

Vanessa said:
I don't think this should be deleted, I think it is a good idea. I feel better about adding my boys when it is a consolidation so they are with other people's rats and not all on their own.

Vanessa... please share your losses with us.

This thread is a great idea. As soon as I get back home I will post photos of mine. Two of my girls have died recently and I haven't yet posted about them on Gone but Not Forgotten.

Unfortunately I don't know the dates off the top of my head :( I recorded them on one of my computers, but don't have the file. All these ratties were older than 2 years, but I miss them all horribly.

Sprite, one of my heart rats. He was always a constant companion, and he was just incredible with baby rats. He aboslutely loved my three boys, he was like a father to them, and they respected him a lot. I wish he was still with us :cry:
DSCF5948.jpg

Sammy, my special hamster. He was nearly 4 years old.
sammy1.jpg

Zippy, she passed at about 31 months of age.
adorable.jpg

Fluffy, Speedy, and Pandora. Three sisters, all passed within a short amount of time.
rattiegirls.jpg

Maurice this December, just a few days short of his 3rd birthday. :(
maurice2.jpg

Where to start? You can always tell the members with the larger colonies because they also have the most losses every year.
Here it goes...

Timmy - the absolute sweetest rat on the planet. Timmy came to me with an extreme inner ear infection and three cagemates from Hamilton Animal Control in August 2005. He was probably about six months old. I treated his infection, but he always seemed to be suffering with some brain damage. Timmy was the gentlest rat ever and the rat that I used to introduce my three year old nephew to rats. I could always trust his reaction to being handled and never had any fear that he would lash out in fear towards Michael. Timmy was such a treasure, I used to carry him around in the pocket of my favourite hoodie. I still wear it today and think of him when I put my hands in the front pouch and feel the holes that he managed to chew in it.
timmy-jan19.jpg

Nicky came to me along with Timmy in a group of four boys from Hamilton Animal Control in August 2005. He was probably about six months old at the time. He was a darling rat but would sometimes pick on Timmy because Timmy was a bit 'different'.
nicky-jan22.jpg

Timmy, Nicky and Sammy in their hammock...
2TimmySammyNickySleeping.jpg

Ratty was an old boy, around two years, who was living in a home where he was very neglected. I found him on a Craigslist ad and drove out to Oakville to pick him up in early December 2006. He was already in the advanced stages of respiratory disease and was as skinny as can be. I did medicate him but all it did was extend his life for a little while longer. He moved in with Horus who was also very old and in the same condition of respiratory disease and they absolutely adored each other. It was the first time in Ratty's life that he had anything to do with a rat buddy. He was able to stick with me through the holidays, but not long after he passed away. His previous owner sucks so badly and I will think of how much so every Christmas because of Ratty.
ratty-feb18.jpg

My darling Horus came to me with his brother/cagemate, Phoenix, from the THS in March 2006. Both were older, full grown, and suffering with the absolute worst case of lice that I have ever seen in my life. They were also suffering with respiratory disease. Never in my life have I seen two rats more bonded than Horus and Phoenix, they loved each other so very much. When Horus was introduced to Ratty, he adored him too and made up for all the time when Ratty never had a companion. Horus didn't like to be handled very much but he was an extremely sweet and darling rat, especially to his cagemates.
horus-jul18.jpg

My favourite picture of Horus and Phoenix...
bestfriends2.jpg

My sweet peacekeeper, Oliver, came to me with his brother Remy in April of 2005 from Small Victories in Montreal. They were very young but already extremely friendly and loved to bathe you in kisses. Both Remy and Oliver were so very healthy throughout their lives (Remy is still with me) until the very end when Oliver seemed to completely fall apart overnight. It seemed as if he had suffered from a stroke and lost all control of his movements. I tried what I could but he passed away only a couple of days after the first symptoms of a problem. Remy was always alpha in that cage and was hard on young Sebastian and John Paul. Oliver would rush over and put himself between Remy and the youngsters until Remy gave up and left them alone. He was one of the most kind and darling rats ever.
oliver-jun7.jpg

1oliver.jpg

My marshmallow angel, Jasper. What can I say? Jasper came to me so petrified and antisocial that I never thought I would get him to turn around because he was pretty much full grown and had been in the shelter for his whole life. He was adopted back in January 2006 from the THS by me after he had already been returned for biting a family. I knew I had to try to help him out. After a great effort, and being neutered, he became the most darling little polar bear ever. He was so very sweet to the east coast boys when they were introduced, I never feared that he would do them any harm. They would gang up on him mercilessly and ride on his back like a bucking bronco and he would just let them get away with everything. I struggled with respiratory issues with him all his life but eventually lost the fight. I miss my Jasper so very much.
jasper-sep3.jpg

During his first introduction to his little boys...
jasperandeastcoastboysintro-94sm.jpg

jasperandeastcoastboysintro-89sm.jpg

I remember seeing Neil on the OSPCA website back in May 2006, he was listed as being three years old and actually looked like he could be that senior. After calling them and asking about him, I was told that he had been put in quarantine for three weeks because he had bitten a member of the public in the shelter. I was very concerned that he would not get another chance and he would be destroyed, although the staff told me it was the childs fault for sticking their fingers in the cage when it specifically said not to. The day he came out of quarantine, I went and picked him up. He was in pretty bad shape, full grown but not anywhere near three, and had come to the shelter in a cruelty case with a handful of mice (not living together). Neil bit me very badly a couple of times but calmed down almost immediately after he was neutered. Shortly after that I adopted Milo from a person who was rehoming him and introduced them when Milo was old enough. They were instant friends and always loved each other very much. Neil would let Milo abuse him with no complaints.
neil-oct7.jpg

Neil and Milo first introductions...
becomingfriends.jpg

Sebastian and his brother John Paul came to me under the very worst of circumstances back in December 2005. A woman was working at a roadside zoo type thing and come across a shed of rats that had been feed for the animals but had been left to die over the winter months. Sara (the woman who found them) did her best to get as many as she could out of there and my two boys were two of them. They were both fairly healthy throughout their lives but did suffer very serious conditions as they got on. Sebastian had a horrible throat tumour successfully removed, and later John Paul developed a horrible facial abscess. Sebastian did recover fully from his tumour, but more must have been going on because I lost him fairly suddenly a few months later. John Paul was treated for his abscess and some other health issues, but he never recovered and passed away shortly after becoming ill.
sebastian-oct25.jpg

johnpaul-oct27.jpg

1remyoliverjohnpaulandsebastiancere.jpg

Last, but never least, my little beastie Abu-boo. Abu-boo was the last boy of five that I had adopted from a woman back in June 2005. He was about six months old at the time. Abu-boo was extremely aggressive towards other rats and did a fair amount of damage to them, and to me as well. Even after neutering him he ripped Blazers shoulder open one night (a $400 trip to the emergency vets on a weekend to get stitched up) and was the only rat ever that I have removed from a colony for aggression. For months after his neuter he would still be out for blood when being introduced to other rats, even though I tried every combo I had in the house, so for the most part he lived alone. Finally, when he was a little old boy, he had calmed down enough to live his remaining few months with Neil, Milo, Lenny and George. He was always a very small boy and lost weight gradually with age and was probably very thankful for chubby young cagemates in fleece hammocks.
Abu-boo-nov5.jpg

Red 23 months, April 11

Red.jpg

Gigi, 24 months, May 27

Gigi.jpg

Ina, May 29

Inayogurt.jpg

Moon, June 3

mooninvent.jpg

Summer, 15 months, Aug. 17

summeronbed2.jpg

Coco, 27 months, Aug, 19

cocoinvent.jpg

Caleb, 33 months, Sept. 9

caleb.jpg

Dewi, 5 months, Oct. 20

douxdoux.jpg

Puce, 27 months, Oct. 25

2yr.jpg

Lucy, 30 months, Nov. 10
lucyincage.jpg

Jacqui, 21 months, Nov. 15

jacquilastday.jpg

Silver, 30 months(?), Dec. 12

silverbells.jpg

Lady, 27 months, Dec. 31

ladyondrawer.jpg

Having only been keeping rats since the beginning of 2006, I had my first losses this year :(

Scabbers
15/11/05 - 15/07/07
Died suddenly one night. One half of my first pair of rats. He'd missed out on handling when he was young so he was always shy with me but such a sweetie.
IMG_1457.jpg

Schizo
15/11/05 - 06/08/07
One month after he lost his brother I found him fitting in the cage and I took him out and he died in my arms. Despite being a bit less docile than Scabbers I adored this boy, he was such a character, and we became closer after I nursed him through a bad bout of myco (when he bit the vet :lol: )
My black splodgy thing :heart:
IMG_2556.jpg

Tina
09/04/06 - 15/08/07
Pts far too young because of mammary tumours that were unable to be removed because of her bad chest. She was my little pinger, always leaping on and off things during freerange and giving me a heart attack :roll: Very much missed :(
IMG_1445.jpg

Ethel
March '06 - 03/09/07
My heart rat, who ignited my love for agouti hoodies, was only seventeen months when she died. She had a PT, and on the evening she died I knew she was failing so I decided that I'd take her in the next day to be pts, but she died that night while I was sleeping. I hope she didn't suffer. I will always regret not taking her in sooner :(
Curled up with her champagne buddies
IMG_0567.jpg

Ruby
09/04/06 - 05/12/07
Sister to Tina, Ruby was matriarch of the girlie cage, and Phyllis, Midge and Emo were lost without her for the first week or so after she left :( Ruby was pts for the same reason as her sister; because of her dodgy chest she wasn't able to be operated on to remove two fast growing mammary tumours, so I had to make the decision to let her go before she was suffering. I miss my sweet old girl.
This was taken in her younger days.
IMG_0763.jpg

Just realised the dates may be a bit confusing, we do dd/mm/yy over here.

What wonderful rats to be remembered. This thread is a lovely idea. :thumbup:

Vanessa, I am so sorry to hear about sweet Jasper, and the Stratford kids and all your other wonderful boys. :(

Wow, what a great thread! So many good memories of our beloveds.

It was hard to do but here's mine:

Jonesy, 22 months. My sweetest boy had chronic myco since he was 5 months old. Died Feb. 19
Jonesy.jpg

My beautiful Rochelle at 23 months, was pts for PT on March 19.
288-08-15-05.jpg

I rescued Duncan from the evil pet store when it closed forever in Feb. I only had a very short time with him and I suspected he was already an old guy. Left me on Apr. 18.
Duncan.jpg

Rain, 32 months, was a grumpy girl but I loved her so. Passed away on Apr. 23.
Rain.jpg

My sweet Josee, developed myco just before she died in my arms when she was 26 months old on June 11.
293-08-15-05.jpg

My most lovable Bear, died mysteriously and suddenly on Sept. 7 when he was 28 months old.
DSC_1096.jpg

Beau was the sweetest rat I've ever known. Myco took him from me on Sept 23 at a young 21 months.
Beau.jpg

Berma had a stroke then recovered a bit and then went downhill again. She was truly a little fighter. She was little spitball but loved to kiss my lips incessantly. I'll never forget my sweet licky Berma. Age ? - Oct. 15
Burma.jpg

Then there's Russell. My very old man had such a weak body at the end. He died Dec 2nd at 31.
Russell.jpg

My mouse, Dudders. I had a lot of fun keeping this sweet mouse and his harem. He died not too long ago, Dec. 18 at an old mouse age of 27.
Dudewheel.jpg

I will never forget you, my loves. :heart:
stairwaytoheaven.jpg

Abu Boo was special to me, he looks identical to my Simon, it's bittersweet to know that Abu Boo went to the bridge and shortly after so did Simon. There's only one son missing from the family reunion at the bridge now.

The ones with the big colonies... so many losses, it's a wonder we haven't cried a flood by now.

You know I came here when I lost my Emma, and started hanging around the post. With this one post, I see there are so many of you that lost sooo many babies within a year. I cried for the longest time when I lost just my one girl Emma (she was the only one I had had) and it broke my heart...and I still think about her and cry my eyes out even though I now have two wonderful funny girls... I honestly do not see how some of you can stand the heartache of loosing so much in so little time...I can't imagine the heart pains some of you feel when you loose 2-3-6 rats within one year. I do know that ALL of you love your babies with all your heart and all of our ratties here are well loved and live good plentiful lives in our hands. :grouphug: Hugs to everyone who lost in 07

My Emma and her buddy Chance the cat
scan0002.jpg

Emma and her buddy Chance again, this is what they would do when I would lay in bed and watch tv or read! haha.
P8220238.jpg

And lasty, Emmas favorite place to be, on my shoulder.
scan0001.jpg

Here are the pictures of the boys with the characters who inspired me for their names.

Voldemort (father of Captain Jack Sparrow and Barbossa)
Voldemort.jpg

Lord Voldemort
LordVoldemort.jpg

Sirius (half brother of Ozzy who died in 2006)
Sirius.jpg

Sirius Black
SiriusBlack.jpg

Dobby (brother of Remus)
Dobby.jpg

Dobby the house elfe
Dobbyelfedemaison.jpg

Severus
Severus.jpg

Severus Snape, a hero after all
SeverusSnape.jpg

Lupin