rats who don't eat lab blocks :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What main nutrients are in lab blocks that would not be found in sufficient quantity in "people" food? For example, rats need a lot of chromium and vit K. If you have a rat who has refused lab blocks and is eating primarily a single grain cereal (rice/wheat) and these foods:sweet peas, corn, pumpkin seeds, fish, eggs, noodles, rice, yogurt, stir fry greens (anything leafy cooked in a little bit oil with a dash to salt and sugar), potato, squash- What would you think their main dietary deficiency might be, that you'd want to correct while you get them switched to a proper diet? This is a real case, not a hypothetical one.

It isn't necessarily that the nutrients in lab blocks are not found in the food we eat every day, it is that rats are so small and eat so little per day that even a few days on the wrong food can cause a deficiency and lead to much worse problems.

The immediate issue with the proposed diet is going to be a lack of B12, which is only found in sufficient amounts from animal products, you can supplement the best by feeding liver in small amounts. Calcium in low amounts and phosphorus in high amounts can be issues when you are trying to feed a grain based diet. High levels of vitamin A decrease the absorption of vitamin K so when you are feeding greens you may want to watch the amounts you are feeding. Vitamin A can be toxic at high levels ((according to a variety of sources)) so I feed amounts depending on weight and condition. Copper is a difficult one to track so you may want to put that on your list as well.

I'd also watch calcium. If you have a rat that is refusing lab blocks you can fix the issue by making a mush out of palatable fruits that you know the particular rat enjoys (I would recommend banana and unsweetened applesauce) and putting enough in a bowl with blocks so that the blocks are just barely sticking out of the mush mix. Heat it in the microwave for about two minutes then stir it to a paste and stick it in the freezer. When the mixture comes out you can separate and freeze individual servings. You should be able to decrease the amount of mush with the blocks over time (add water to the mix instead) to get your rat accustomed to blocks.

I'd recommend this blog if the method above does not work, when it comes to nutrition, Sorraia knows what she is talking about more than I do: http://nom-ology.blogspot.com/ (pretty much everything I know about nutrition is due to reading about laboratory rats, feeding my own and this website)

It isn't necessarily that the nutrients in lab blocks are not found in the food we eat every day, it is that rats are so small and eat so little per day that even a few days on the wrong food can cause a deficiency and lead to much worse problems.

Oh yes, I understand that. The diet I mentioned is the one the current owner feeds these boys, she said they will not eat lab blocks and she listed the things they will eat.

as soon as I get them I am going to remove all treats, cereals etc and give them only lab blocks, there's a good chance they will eat them if they are not offered anything else. ;-)

I don't know how long they have been refusing to eat their staple diet, I had them for two weeks last winter and they ate lab blocks just fine. I think perhaps the owners have been a bit overindulgent.

they have not gained weight, which is surprising to me, but seeing the higher phosphorus foods made me worried about their kidneys right away. :/

Can rats have methly B12? I have tablets of those for myself as I'm vegan.

oh, I tried the non ology page, her link to the requirements of all nutrients is broken.
:(

thank you for all your help!

Oh, that makes sense! I have never heard of a rat outright refusing blocks, maybe being slower to eat, but not refusing them. They're probably spoiled little fur babies and just got accustomed to it, haha.

That is alarming that they haven't gained weight though, I would immediately be worried as well. I know that eggs and fish both contain B12 but the amount is what I would be worried about. Are the current owners feeding all of the ingredients daily or do they have the rats on a schedule? Selective feeding would cause worse issues in a case like this because if they don't like the taste of a single ingredient they are missing out on serious nutritional requirements. Also, if the amounts of each ingredient are imbalanced then the rats may not be getting enough of each vitamin and mineral.

I am fairly sure rats can have tablet B12 but I am not sure about the dosages. I'd just get the rats and cold turkey switch them to the blocks then supplement after about two weeks if you haven't seen any improvement. That's what I do when I get a rat that has been fed on only dog food. My rats Czar and Pixie came to me together after being fed a pretty poor diet (they were also infested with mites, I picked up Revolution on the way home with them) by the time they were out of QT they had already improved by leaps and bounds. Pretty amazing seeing Pixie now because she came to me young.

Also, no problem! I didn't notice that the links were broken. Sorry about that!

I would really try to get those rats on blocks. If they don't like their current blocks, then try a different one. Did the try adding water or even broth to the blocks for higher palatability?

I would really try to get those rats on blocks. If they don't like their current blocks, then try a different one. Did the try adding water or even broth to the blocks for higher palatability?

I don't know what they've tried but I'll suggest that
I know they ate both HT 2014 and Regal Rat when I rat sat them.
:/

Huh. Out of the 10 fuzzbuts we have had so far, you'd have thought the Harlan 2014 was made of awesome the way they would go after it. Everyone loved it, and most would accept it like a treat (wait for a piece handed to them, then run off to eat or stash) when it was bowl refilling day. Unless, there was something to steal from the humans, of course.

Sounds to me like the ratties are getting the food they want and they are spoiled brats. I was going to suggested the same thing to you - just give them the owbow (or whatever) they'll eat it when they are hungry enough!!! Just like a child!

Huh. Out of the 10 fuzzbuts we have had so far, you'd have thought the Harlan 2014 was made of awesome the way they would go after it. Everyone loved it, and most would accept it like a treat (wait for a piece handed to them, then run off to eat or stash) when it was bowl refilling day. Unless, there was something to steal from the humans, of course.

yes I've noticed this too! I had my boys on Regal Rat, which I prefer for the ingredients (rice instead of corn as the first ingredient) but ran out and gave them HT 2014
They loved it so much they eventually stopped eating the RR in favor of the HT

I will have to find out what staple diet they've been given.

they will be here in a couple of weeks, I've been asked to provide them with a home, as their guardian is moving across country. They will come with everything they need, including a hefty vet fund, otherwise I could not do this.
I am so happy I'll be seeing them again, they are the sweetest boys!
they're about 1 1/2 now, I think.

Oxbow Regal Rat is how my ratties roll !

My boys are fat ( and lazy....maybe that's why they are fat ) & my girls are fit and active. LoL!

Just got an update last night and a couple of photos of the boys, they have gained weight, so at least there's no worry about them being too thin. They look pretty good in the photos. Didn't get any answers on what they've tried as far as feeding goes, but it sounds like they are ready to let the boys go as soon as I am able to take them.

I may move the date of their arrival up a bit. I've hurt my back so I'm trying to get that back in shape and sort out some things but I guess I can do that while the boys are here.
I so miss having rats!
and it's only been what, a week? :/

I so miss having rats!
and it's only been what, a week? :/

I know the feeling. We've been rat-less since July 1, and I dunno when we'll be getting them again due to living arrangements. I miss my fuzzballs.

aww that is a long time. I think the longest I was without rats (since first discovering their awesomeness back in 2009) was 4-5 mos, although it seemed much longer
:/

hope you can get rats again sooner rather than later

Back