Rats Town Rattery is NO MORE - Back on Track :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy updates...

Gilbert's shoulder looks much better, its not oozing and wet anymore :D

Eli on the other hand *shudder*. The scab over his eye is coming off, there's a ball of pus on the other side of the scab and the eye is open now. :sick2:

[spoiler:is2czi54]
Eliscabalmostoff3jun14eve.jpg

Eliscabalmostoff2jun14eve.jpg

Eliscabalmostoffjun14eve.jpg
[/spoiler:is2czi54]

Um, you'll have to check with the vet on this, I'm not sure what is inside the eye socket so I wouldn't try this if it can damage anything behind. But sugar kills micro organisms. When Warren was neutered he kept getting scrotal infections. The vet would clean them out and resuture and they'd reinfect. In the end we packed the hole with plain table sugar (you clean it out twice a day and apply fresh. Yummy, sugar coated abscesses! Sorry, yucky humour. Anyway, he healed up really really well. They use plain table sugar at Guelph for deep abscesses in horses because they are so sensitive to drugs and sugar is very benign. Again, I'd say talk to the vet. The trick is to keep him from grooming it off (or other rats doing so). For Warren we made a body cast out of tape so he couldn't reach it. Maybe some kind of collar? I know they are hard to keep on a rat but something should work. Maybe taped harness across the chest so he can't get his arms bent up to his face? Jeeze I wish you were closer to pass on some of our homotox stuff from work.

You know I just went back and looked at the photos. As bad as it looks it still looks better then the bloody bulging eyeball.

Hugs to you...it can't be easy taking care of these guys. I've got two sick at home running me ragged but no-one who is post surge. It really takes a lot out of you.

The scab is only hanging on by itself. He's much brighter than he was before, so I think he's feeling a lot better, he's not oozing anymore which made me very uncomfortable. He will be going to my vet for drop off on Thursday for a re-check. Isabella will be spayed on the same day. All my younger girls will need to be done, since I have kinda switched to rescuing boys. :cheeky:

Oozing is good in a way though, it means anything bad is draining. What is really bad is if it seals off and starts to swell with pus. So as gross as oozing is it can be a good sign :)

rodentmama said:
Oozing is good in a way though, it means anything bad is draining. What is really bad is if it seals off and starts to swell with pus. So as gross as oozing is it can be a good sign :)

yeah that worried me when it was all closed up (glued) but now its open so it can really drain UNLESS it hasn't healed enough inside and bacteria can get in again...

True but he is on abx right? Hopefully any bacteria that get in are immediately zapped. That is the nice thing about packing the wound with sugar. It actually hardens up and the sugar sucks any moisture out of bacteria killing them. Nice candy coated scab. :shock:

So sorry to hear about Emma. I was really really hoping for a positive update on her, but at least if these are her last days, she's spending them loved & well cared for. Everything counts hun, as you well know.

The scab is off Eli's eye and he actually looks good :)

Gilbert looks good

Emma is drinking Ensure from a syringe in my lap.

The black hoodie who needs a name may have pneumonia or CHF

The others are just fine :D

Back