Rats stay on the shelf

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessedmom

I'm still kind of new to rats but we have two sweet girls, Vanilla (white one) and Dior (way up in left corner). I've attached a pic of their cage. Here's the deal- they absolutely love to stay on the top level and rarely use the bottom at all. Even when I had nothing on the top shelf, they would cuddle up and sleep there. So I finally put the wooden thing so they have something to cuddle under. My issue is that they pee on the shelves of course and it needs cleaned so often. The bedding at the bottom rarely gets used. I've tried different bedding to be sure it wasn't bothering them. I try to keep a soft bed under the wood thing but they constantly knock it down. They sometimes knock down the wooden thing too (I'm afraid could injure them). Should I keep the shelf clear or find some kind of other thing they can huddle under? Should I keep a towel down that I can change daily so the pee doesn't get yucky? Any ideas?
0913f52a29eb1d43fdafb1b3b239cf01.jpg

Rats like to be up high. What you really need is hammocks. You have alot of available space to hang hammocks, baskets, all sorts of things. Make sure your freezing all the bedding and wood stuff for 48-72 hours so you don't get mites/lice. You can always binder clip on a couple layers of fleece to soak up the urine instead of just having them on the plastic shelves. Do you have a liter pan in there? You can get some decorating ideas from here. From what I can see you have a couple of cuties.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33695

Last edited:
yes .... attach a litter box to the shelves, use hammocks, wooden logs and house on the bottom, a 12 inch diameter solid wheel as your wheel is much too small, tubes attached to the side of the cage, perhaps a space pod, and perhaps a much larger cage

also you need 2 to 3 sources of water in the cage .... at least one of which should be a water dish that can not be upset

sweet ratties,
all the best with your renovations

Last edited:
Rats like to be up high. What you really need is hammocks. You have alot of available space to hang hammocks, baskets, all sorts of things. Make sure your freezing all the bedding and wood stuff for 48-72 hours so you don't get mites/lice. You can always binder clip on a couple layers of fleece to soak up the urine instead of just having them on the plastic shelves. Do you have a liter pan in there? You can get some decorating ideas from here. From what I can see you have a couple of cuties.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33695

Thank you so much for all the input! I did have a hammock but they ate the part attached to cage! I'm gonna get some that have a chain attachment or something they can't eat!

I have Guinea pigs and have used fleece with uhaul blankets underneath for their cage. It works wonders! The fleece wicks the urine down and the uhaul pads are made from recycled denim and can absorb a ton of liquid. I could do the same thing for the rats, I hadn't thought of that!

I will read about freezing the bedding. I didn't know about this. I will do the litter box too. I wasn't sure if they responded to that. I know so much about Guinea pigs and have researched them and have learned so much. I love my piggers! Now my daughter got these rats and I am just starting to learn about them. They're growing on me! Very different than my GPigs but very fun! And wow! I love love those pics of that rat room! So cool!

yes .... attach a litter box to the shelves, use hammocks, wooden logs and house on the bottom, a 12 inch diameter solid wheel as your wheel is much too small, tubes attached to the side of the cage, perhaps a space pod, and perhaps a much larger cage

also you need 2 to 3 sources of water in the cage .... at least one of which should be a water dish that can not be upset

sweet ratties,
all the best with your renovations

Thank you! I figured I had a lot to learn. I started a couple years ago with two GPigs in a store bought cage and now they live in a 76" x 30" hand built cage with a loft and fun accessories. I enjoy learning the best care I can and knowing they get a good life! The rats were an unexpected impulse when my daughter saw some that my sister's rats had and fell in love. I'm starting to fall myself! They're so fun. These rats are so social! And they love climbing. I am actually rebuilding my going cage this weekend. I wish there was something like C&C cages for rats. Look up C&C Guinea pig cages if you haven't heard of them. They'd never work for the rats but are fun to build and perfect for GPigs.

I have one of those saucer wheels that is much larger but they never used it. They don't use this wheel either but maybe that's because it's too small. I'll upgrade it.

Your rats are pigs just like mine (and I even have the same cage, till someone stole the top when I let it to dry in the yard).

I cut a hole in the top shelf so the pee would fall through to the bottom, and put a food bowl opposite to force them to use the hole. It didn't work. They wee-ed in the bowl instead.

What you want is FUZZY ADHESIVE TILES, from Dollarama. You cut them to fit the shelves, and rinse in the sink daily. If you pin fleece on top, they will find a way to get under the fleece.

Rats are a lot like us. I had a roommate that peed in a cup because she was too lazy to use the bathroom. Beautiful house, 3 jacuzzis, but such is my luck.

Last edited:
Your rats are pigs just like mine (and I even have the same cage, till someone stole the top when I let it to dry in the yard).

I cut a hole in the top shelf so the pee would fall through to the bottom, and put a food bowl opposite to force them to use the hole. It didn't work. They wee-ed in the bowl instead.

What you want is FUZZY ADHESIVE TILES, from Dollarama. You cut them to fit the shelves, and rinse in the sink daily. If you pin fleece on top, they will find a way to get under the fleece.

Rats are a lot like us. I had a roommate that peed in a cup because she was too lazy to use the bathroom. Beautiful house, 3 jacuzzis, but such is my luck.

What are fuzzy adhesive tiles? I'm also not familiar with Dollarama. Is it a dollar store? We have a Dollar Tree but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. Do you pics you could post? Thanks so much!

Back