Rats drinking rooibos?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakthenight

Does anyone know if rooibos is safe for rats to taste? My two are fighting me(Ok...mostly Fionn...what a chubber) to get at my tea. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was OK to let them have a taste of..LOL. I know it's naturally decaf and safe for children to drink, but...

At the same time as I write this I feel a little silly because I doubt very many people other than me have had this issue before :oops:

LOL....I just found a scientific study about this via google...who would have thought???!Apparently it is healthy and prevents DNA damage and inflammation in rats and human children!

Haha, sorry, I thought you guys would know :oops:

It's a most delicious tea, very relaxing, great to drink just before bedtime(Or any time if you love tea).It's not TECHNICALLY tea though, in that it's caffeine free and made from a South African legume/herb. I was wondering if it would be safe. Apparently google friend and it's scientist buddies say yes, so I let Fionn try some(Faren remained uninterested, or overly interested in sleeping in my hood). He really, really liked it, lol.

Apparently it actually has a ton of health benefits including reducing inflammation, which makes me wonder if it would actually be GOOD to use in terms of homeopathic treatment for rats(Like a small piece of dark chocolate as a bronchial dilater). That being said my guys are healthy and it's just nice to know that Fionn can enjoy a sip while I'm having a glass of tea and surfing the inter-webs.

I'm actually surprised I managed to find so much information about rats and rooibos, haha.

(On a related note- even if you aren't a tea drinker, I'd suggest trying rooibos. It has a really mild, soothing flavor when drunk unsweetened and nothing added, and you can also find it easily/ cheaply in a number of other flavors such as honey, vanilla, mixed with other herbs or sweetened with fruits. Super delicious. But I wouldn't give it to ratties when mixed with other herbs as I have no idea what THOSE have in terms of health effects on rats..)

Is that with the other teas in the store? I'm not a tea drinker or coffee drinker mainly though because I really don't like the taste but if this is different, might be worth a try. And, having the good effects from the herb is a bonus.

It should be in the regular tea section, usually grouped together with the herbals and green teas. It usually has a lion or some kind of African animal on the box. I would suggest trying a vanilla rooibos, to start, as it really has a nice flavor(If you like vanilla that is, though it's very mild, not overpowering at all). I find coffee and orange pekoe(Everyone's mom's or grandma's tea) really strong and in a lot of cases unpleasant. If you are used to really sweet beverages, you might want to add some honey, but I never do. Once you start drinking it, you really appreciate it for the flavor(Or that's what happened to me anyway), health benefits and relaxation.

It shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks for a box(Definitely under 5 for a store brand which is still really good), and if you don't like it, you can always make a cup of tea for the rats, haha, that is assuming that FIonn isn't just some weirdo!

You read the Ladies detective agency books? Super popular at work! Give a bit of tea to your rats, never know, they could be quite the tea lovers like Fionn! :)

I feel like I've read about someone on a forum putting an extra "water bottle" with rooibos in for her rats regularly... just for the health benfits.
I bought a bulk bag after reading that and the benfits, but its kind of tedious to make and my rats havent gotten to try it yet.

Greek potato with tea...ok...that spells spoiled rotten rats!

if you find it tedious to make(Do you have loose leaf?, you can buy tea bags of it as well), just to let you know you can make it in a coffee maker(As long as you rinse it first, or use a new one) by putting the tea in a coffee filter and brewing normally. I make tea in my coffee maker, but I used bagged tea as well...if you are using bagged, you can just put it in the pot and brew!

The girls and I shared a cup of rooibos last night. I enjoyed mine, but they weren't sure what to make of it. They did some sniffing and exploratory licking, and one of them walked into the dish :lol:

The Greek potato was a big hit, though. They are spoiled. We often bring them a treat if we've been out for supper on Saturday.

And this morning the rooibos was all gone-- no evidence that they had tipped over the dish! I'll have to make this a regular treat.

Haha, glad you guys had an nice snack! It may have been your girls were just being cautious and doing the rattie try a bit then see if you get sick trick!. Fionn is still crazy about the stuff though, silly boy. He has odd tastes and a sweet tooth, whereas he loves tea and Faren was sort of so so about it, she went crazy for butternut squash tonight, and he couldn't be bothered trying more than a few bites.

breakthenight said:
if you find it tedious to make(Do you have loose leaf?, you can buy tea bags of it as well), just to let you know you can make it in a coffee maker(As long as you rinse it first, or use a new one) by putting the tea in a coffee filter and brewing normally. I make tea in my coffee maker, but I used bagged tea as well...if you are using bagged, you can just put it in the pot and brew!

Yay! I'm making tea tomorrow then, thanks!

Back