Rats constantly sneezing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sampeartree

My two 7 week old boys seem to always be sneezing and rubbing their noses. I don't know what a rat sneeze sounds like but they basically just, like..blow air out of their nose rapidly while rubbing the nose.

My room isn't dusty, I'm using aspen bedding and they don't sit in an area with a draft. Are they sick or is this just something they do?

Is the bedding dusty?
Are there any odors in your home such as air fresheners, perfume etc?
How long have you had them?
Can you hear any noises when you hold them up to your ear and listen to both sides of their chest?

If you have only had them a couple of days it could be new home sniffles, it could be environmental, or they could be ill and if ill will need to see a vet for antibiotics - such as azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) or clavamox as these are pediatric friendly and treat different things. When antibiotics help rats need to stay on them (orally, twice a day) for at least 4 to 6 weeks, if antibiotics do not start to help within a few days then different antibiotics or combos of antibiotics need to be tried.

Last edited:
Is the bedding dusty?
Are there any odors in your home such as air fresheners, perfume etc?
How long have you had them?
Can you hear any noises when you hold them up to your ear and listen to both sides of their chest?

If you have only had them a couple of days it could be new home sniffles, it could be environmental, or they could be ill and if ill will need to see a vet for antibiotics - such as azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) or clavamox as these are pediatric friendly and treat different things. When antibiotics help rats need to stay on them (orally, twice a day) for at least 4 to 6 weeks, if antibiotics do not start to help within a few days then different antibiotics or combos of antibiotics need to be tried.

Bedding may be a little dusty, I'll see if using paper bedding makes a difference.
There's no odors.
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks exactly and the sneezes didn't start until maybe 2-3 days after they came home.
I currently cannot hold them well enough (or, at all haha) but I can't hear anything when they're against the cage and I have my ear up to them

I'm really worried because I absolutely cannot afford to take them to a vet right now. So I'm really hoping its just new home sneezes.

You should ask Emergent Rattery. They might not even charge you. They helped us with our sick rats , and the sneezing stopped in I swear 24 hours. Being a student, we can't really afford hundreds or thousands more in vet bills. Emergent Rattery (Charla) helped us with our aggressive, maloccluded boys for free from another Rattery, and that's why I agreed to my boyfriend getting his next rats from there. I have their email address, but there is is no pm button on this forum to send it to you.

Any chance at getting a video of them sneezing, so we can hear if it's a dry sharp irritation type sneeze, or congested which is my fear. If it had only been a week or so with dry sharp sneezes it might have been New Home Sneezes when a rats sensitive respiratory system adapts to the new home but it's gone on too long now.

Where do you live?

Any antibiotics in your cupboard like amoxicillin, azithromycin, Augmentin (Clavamox) or Ciprofloxacin?

Just so we are clear, Charla or whatever she's calling herself now is NOT a vet or vet tech. There has been some serious issues in the past with this person and most of us seasoned rat people can't recommend this person or her rattery or rescue or whatever she's calling it these days. Whatsoever.

I'll try getting a video tonight, that's when they do it the most. I do have a leftover antibiotic (cipro) so I'll try giving that to them, whats the recommended dosage for their size?

Back