Rats and spiders (and arachnophobic me)?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Oh my, I have to say that the only downside to our new house is the huge number of spiders I find inside. Fortunately for the unwelcome guests, my arachnophobia (yes, its irrational) is so great that I can't even get close enough to them to do anything. Poor hubby has been regulated to "humane spider removal duty" for me, but half the time they've scuttled out of reach/sight by the time he bothers to come to my rescue.

My silly fears aside, do spiders pose any risks to my rats (and the smaller hamsters)? Or would it depend on the type of spiders they are? I'm hoping that such encounters would just result in extra protein for the kiddos, but I really don't know what kind of spiders I'm dealing with. I've noted four kinds throughout the house, but just the thought of looking at spider photos on my laptop gives me the heebie-jeebies.

1) A semi-transclucent dirty yellow/brown spider with light spotting on its abdomen. Very deliberate and slow in its movements, and it tends to hang out in the open. Doesn't seem to be associated with webs, and including the legs, would fit nicely on a nickle.

2) A dark brown/black spider with light "racing stripes" on its abdomen. Very quick and ninja-like in its movements, and sticks to the floorboards and ceiling corners. Doesn't seem to be associated with webs, and including the legs, would fit nicely on a nickle.

3) Frank. I actually have never seen Frank, but his impressive "kill-zone" is hard to miss. He's built a lovely spiders-from-the-Hobbit-esque web in a nook by the door where he displays the dried out carcases of earwigs, silverfish, and the like. Seems to be a ground-based spider. Have a hunch that he's probably the most dangerous in the house, but fortunately, there seems to be just one of him around at the moment.

4) A I-look-like-a-daddy-long-legs-but-am-way-cooler spider. Small body with light spotting, very long legs, super quick, and a messy web maker. Big enough with the legs to have trouble fitting on a silver dollar.

Last edited:
very cool descriptions of your spiders!!

fortunately, spiders are not interested in people or pets.
they will take care of a lot of other bugs for you, which is why I'm always happy to see them in my house.

I googled spiders in your area and only the black widow is poisonous and it's not usually found indoors (black with a red hourglass or something similar on it)

Frank is probably a common house spider and if you ever see him, send him my way please! I could use a hard worker like him!! LOL

so the creepy factor aside, looks like you've got nothing to worry about.

spiders *shudder*
I too have that irrational fear... have you ever seen house centipedes??? They are like a spider on freaking steroids!!! Just thinking about them makes the hairs on my body stand on end! ICK!
That being said, your descriptions were hilarious! I'm glad I am not the only one who names the spiders that hang out by their home. When I lived at my previous place I had 3 spiders in the windows that I had named... Gertrude, Agnus and Ethel.

As for your question, as long as the spiders aren't venomous, then the critters should be ok :)

LOL Althea! I'll send my spiders down to you! You can have them! Ick Ick Ick!!!

Great descriptions. Those sound like several fairly common types of spiders we see in our homes. They're our friends.

My rats have rarely taken interest in spiders or other insects (except large things, like when we had a minor roach scare last year...) Spiders tend to be too small and fast for rats to see. Research venomous spiders in your area just to be aware of which ones are okay and which ones are bad. You probably have nothing to worry about.

The spider on the side of the water dish hung out around the rat cages for several days and they paid him no mind ;)

pb141015.jpg

Same here... so freaking scared of spiders but I do leave them alone because I know they take care of other bugs and even earwigs, an even greater fear of mine. lol

a word of warning, some people are anaphylactic to spiders (me) & some rats are too. if they start getting bit be careful, it's rare-ish but not as rare as it was 15 years ago. don't you have brown recluse out there too? or is that an east coast thing?

Back