Rats and pregnant humans - GAH!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Great, now that my mom made the huge mistake of thinking that I'm pregnant, both my parents are squawking about my rodents again.

Although I've made it perfectly clear that kids aren't going to be in the picture for several more years, my parents think I should now start "prepping my body" for pregnancy. And of course, the first thing I need to do is get rid of my rats and hamsters ASAP.

My mom has always thought that any animal inside the house is unhygienic, so this proposed "purge" of critters would have applied to dogs and cats if I had them. Apparently I'm putting any babies at risk by breathing in "toxic" animal essences. My dad's line of attack is my allergies to animal dander and saliva - chronic with cats and rabbits, but very minimal with hamsters and rats. Oh, and also that rats are just nasty too.

*HEADDESK* And this is why I'm not looking forward to getting pregnant. Granted, I'll let my critter numbers naturally dwindle down, but there is no way I'm going to dump my furry kids to make room for a human one. And of course this means I'm going to get hounded up the wazoo to get rid of them. I know to make things the "best" for the baby, I'll probably have to give up soda and other bad habits of mine, but I honestly don't think my fur-kids are a bad thing. Great, this is already causing all sorts of tension I don't need right now, and its only going to get worse when I get pregnant. Now I'm even dreading going down to visit for my birthday because I know they're going to bring this up. GAH!!!!!!!!

ratkin412 said:
why have kids at all when you can have rats instead?

:laugh4:

I agree. I would also remind my mom that I dont live with her and I am an adult. Or just tell them if it boils down to it, you will keep animals and never have kids so you dont have to rehome your pets. explain that the telling you should can backfire :)

Oh wow. How about you do a pregnancy test in front of her to clear up this whole baby-buisness? Tee hee.

Wow. Good thing these people aren't my parents cause I'd be giving them the big talk. Respect me and my animals or get out of my life.
They are all wrong. We've had a few people on the forum be pregnant and have their babies while having rats. Some people are just nasty.

On top of everything else:

1. Pregnancy can be very stressful, and having pets helps reduce stress (most of the time); and

2. The fact that you can love animals and care for them as well as you do is a clear indication of your ability to be a good mom.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to tell my parents that if they ever want grandchildren without fur, they'd best back off the ones with fur! (That's just me though...I've gotta mouth on me!) :wallbang:

Good luck. Families can be tricky.

Parents can be weird when it comes to grandkids (or even the thought of some). In their minds, they know best.

There is nothing wrong with having pets in a household that has children or has one on the way. Unless a child is born with allergies so extreme that it's causing respiratory issues, there is no legitimate excuse for rehoming your pets. Sometimes parents/grandparents don't see it that way though.

I've battled with my own parents and in-laws about my rats. Until they've bonded with an animal other than a dog or cat, they will never understand how truly amazing "pocket pets" are.

*SIGH* The most ironic thing? My mom did the "no exposure to possible bad things" when she was pregnant with me, and during my childhood too. And now I'm allergic to a bazillion things because I never built up immunity as a child.

Well, if its any consolation, the hubby thinks my parents are a bit batty, and he doesn't have any problem keeping the fuzzies around. He did ask that I try to keep the numbers under 20 though. :mrgreen:

rhapsody said:
*SIGH* The most ironic thing? My mom did the "no exposure to possible bad things" when she was pregnant with me, and during my childhood too. And now I'm allergic to a bazillion things because I never built up immunity as a child.

Well, if its any consolation, the hubby thinks my parents are a bit batty, and he doesn't have any problem keeping the fuzzies around. He did ask that I try to keep the numbers under 20 though. :mrgreen:

Is that 20 of each males and females or a combined 20 of all 4 legged ones

For the record my parents always had animals and kids at once, including when my mama was pregnant with us. She said she could never continue on in a house without having some animal in with us, this usually being dogs. My sister was pregnant with all three of her kids, WITH dogs in the house, never had issues. Our allergies to animals is inherited from my dad's side of the family, and yes my neice has some allergic reaction to the more shedding dog fur, but still they have two dogs and a pig, her allergies aren't plauged up due to the two dogs are small and the pig doesn't shed fur. My father's real allergy was towards livestock, horses and cattle particularly would start a horrible reaction.

Now to buis: You're an adult, it's your life, you decide what happends with your pets and whether or not you want a baby! And as your hubby agrees with you I see no reason for there to be an arguement between you and your parents, its your choice not theirs! So ner ner parents and leave her alone! lol :D

Having pets and kids is very doable. But what needs to be addressed is your ability to balance both. Each person is different. For me, I know I couldn't never of had dogs while having babies. Both are very demanding and I would never be willing to compromise the dog's life. I didn't have dogs until my boys were school age. Same with rats. I'd never be able to have a lot of rats while caring for my babies, simply because I was very very tired as a young mother.
Bottom line, know yourself very well and going down in numbers by not taking anymore in might be a wise idea for you.

its bound to happen. But i've made the decision to only have furkids and i think that's pretty awesome. Pets are like.. permanent babies. Even if they grow up or something, their innocence never fails to charm and bring smiles.

Back