Rats and euthanasia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We also need to keep in mind that not all vets are aware of how to humanely pts a small animal. If you go to a dog and cat vet, they will do it like they have learned back in vet school. Exotic vets remain active and involved in new information, data and technology with regards to small animals and incorporate this into their practice.

ryelle, I'm so sorry. Years ago I took my kids to the spca to be put down (thought they would be humane) but they wouldn't let me stay with them (didn't have the facilities to allow that they said). When I went back to pick up the cage from one kid being put down it was in a mess, like there was a struggle, I was so upset, I asked and they said everything had been alright. Then I read about the needle and I was sick. Now I do it myself so I KNOW it's gentle.
I think the spca did the needle without the gas and it haunts me... So I sure understand how you feel, but i'ts done, your kid's at peace now, you can only know for the future.
I did have MacKenzie put down at the emergency vet tho cause they let me stay with him all thru and it was very peaceful for him, in a clear box for gas, then I held him for the needle and he didn't even feel it, it was gentle. I'd insist on the gas before the needle for sure, and I'd never again take them where I couldn't hold my kid at the end now that I know there are places you can. Hugs.

I just wanted to gather your opinions on this one. I've always insisted on gas, then reflex checks, then the final needle injection. & am always present with them through the whole process. The box has always made me sad & panicked my babies at their final last thoughts. Until now I had preferred the mask over the box, as I could hold my babies & talk to them. But this past time Verdell was given the injection sedative first, & was to then have the final injection but I insisted on the gas in between, just to be sure. While I was comforted that he was held in my arms up until the end, the sedative was injected into his leg & was very painful for him. So at this point, I thought I was torn on whether I really thought the sedative was better & more peaceful since he remembered being in my arms over a scary mask, but also couldn't decide if it would have been more humane to let him be slightly scared without the final pain of the sedative injection.

Since some of you mentioned other sedative injection locations, & didn't seem to mention the wail of pain from your rats, I would be interested to hear how & where they gave the sedative injection as well as if your rat seemed to be in a lot of pain from it. I would love to be able to always hold my babies until their last conscious moments, but I'm not sure if the pain of the needle is completely worth it at this point.

Sedation: For rats NOT in respiratory distress: SQ injection of diazepam with either a 1 cc tuberculin syringe or with a 27 - 29 gauge needle or an insulin syringe. The SQ injection is made in the flank area. Or the diazepam can be given orally.

For rats in respiratory distress, they must be given the gas first.

(info from the Rat Health Care book)
In both cases this is followed by the needle or gas and then the needle.

My vet takes the rat in the back when doing the injections. But, my vet is very strict as to what is humane and would never do anything that would cause pain.
Could your little guy simply protested or was he really in pain?

jorats said:
My vet takes the rat in the back when doing the injections. But, my vet is very strict as to what is humane and would never do anything that would cause pain.

My vet is the same...

hello.

i have a plastic container which i place the rat into, and that container has one or two tissues that have been soaked in anaesthetic. the rat gradually falls asleep into unconsciousness.
once that has happened the vet injects under the skin only.

unfortunately when i first started keeping rats i was ignorant of many things, including the best way to put a rat to sleep. i simply imagined that the vet would know the best way.

i always stay with my rats too. when i first went to my current vet, he was really surprised by this, and fully expected me to hand the rat over and then go back to the waiting room. i feel very strongly that an owner should stay with the rat, i simply couldn't do it any other way.

so some of my earlier rats were in fact injected into their heart without being unconscious. one of these rats really screamed as this was happening, and this image still haunts me from time to time.

i feel quite angry that the vet did it this way. its funny, but when i changed to the better method, i said to the vet that i'd prefer under the skin. i then said that injecting into an organ was cruel, to which he replied that i was right, and that he never does it that way!!!

i agree that its hard to speak up and suggest things to a vet, i feel envious when i read of rattie owners who have great vets.
i still go to the same surgery, however i now see a female vet, she didn't mind when i asked that my rats be pts in the method i described above. as a matter of fact i had to have one of my ratties pts yesterday.

i sometimes feel i know as much or more about particular things relating to rats then a lot of vets do. with my current vet, i printed out the 'rat guide' and the
'rat medication chart' for her[and him], which she seemed happy to have.

Yes it's definitely something everybody should discuss with their vet, we discussed it before ours needed PTS, researched everything too... so luckily none of mine have been injected when awake. My vets were horrified at that idea tho, so that's good...

Thank you for providing this information everyone, as it is SO important for everyone to know!!!

Ryelle, very sorry to hear about your boy. <3
Atleast his life ended being unconditionally loved and in a wonderful home!

My two boys are going to a lady's house for August...and on their care sheet, I've decided to add this note to it...
So, everone, let me know if it sounds ok and if I'm missing anything...
"If you believe either rat is in major discomfort and needs to be immediately euthanized due to health reasons or physical ailments and are unable to get ahold of me, you may go ahead and proceed, without my permission, under a qualified vet. I request that the euthanization only be done by the means of isoflurane or halothane gas until they are deeply unconscious (checking toe and eye reflexes) before they inject into either the lower right abdomen or the heart. If injecting into the abdomen, the mask must be kept on until the heart has stopped beating."

You may want to get a rat owner as your pet sitter. As a pet sitter myself I'm very picky as to who I let watch over my kids.
And if there's a possibility of your rats passing or getting that sick while you're away you may want to make sure you have her take them to your vet and your vet only.

I know my vet will tell me truthfully if one of my boys needs to be pts or if there are other options this has happened on more than one occassion.

I wouldn't let someone have the choice of getting your rats PTS without even talking to you first.
If I had to go away, I wouldn't give them that permission, they'd have to talk to me first, just be careful.

Rachael said:
I wouldn't let someone have the choice of getting your rats PTS without even talking to you first.
If I had to go away, I wouldn't give them that permission, they'd have to talk to me first, just be careful.

In case of a major emergency situation (SEVERE injury, etc) where the rat will slowly pass very painfully, it's good for sitters to have the abililty to make that decision. In less serious but still bad situations, they would need to contact the owner.

Moon said:
Rachael said:

In case of a major emergency situation (SEVERE injury, etc) where the rat will slowly pass very painfully, it's good for sitters to have the abililty to make that decision. In less serious but still bad situations, they would need to contact the owner.

I realized that someone would point this out after I'd posted, you're right, if it was a totally emergancy, but even if it was a phone call to say you'll have to get them PTS does only take a second, I'd just like to know it's happening before it does.

I think it would be in the case that she can't be reached. What if she doesn't answer her phone because she's out eating dinner? Stuff like that. It would be very important for the sitter to know they could euthanize a dying rat under extreme circumstances without permission. Otherwise the sitter sits there and calls and calls and calls and calls, waiting for her to answer her phone or something, and the rat is suffering, in massive amounts of pain or something.

xxchelle said:
I think it would be in the case that she can't be reached. What if she doesn't answer her phone because she's out eating dinner? Stuff like that. It would be very important for the sitter to know they could euthanize a dying rat under extreme circumstances without permission. Otherwise the sitter sits there and calls and calls and calls and calls, waiting for her to answer her phone or something, and the rat is suffering, in massive amounts of pain or something.

I didn't mean like that. Just meant try leave your phone on/be able to be in touch with the sitter incase of a situation like that. Hopefully there won't be one.

Rachael said:
xxchelle said:

I didn't mean like that. Just meant try leave your phone on/be able to be in touch with the sitter incase of a situation like that. Hopefully there won't be one.

Yeah but, if you were say... in Istanbul... or climbing Mt. Everest.. you might not be reachable right away!

jorats said:
That's a good clause to add, although if your pet sitter aware of exactly how to determine if the rat really needs to be pts?

Yes, most definitely! I trust her 100% in this.
She is a reputable breeder & shows rats PLUS has worked as a veterinary assistant before in her parents practise
(which is where I take my rats anyways!)
I wouldn't trust them anywhere else... I do have a few friends who have owned rats in the past, but I know they haven't done their research,
so if my rats were to start showing signs of pain or illness, I honestly wouldn't trust that they would be able to take notice to that.

And yes, chelle & moon are exactly right...
I will try to have my phone by my side at all times, however there are times when I'm unable to.
Say its 3am in the morning, Im in a deep sleep and my phone doesn't wake me up...
OR, I horseback ride on a regular basis, and in my riding lessons, I can't have my cell on me.
So if she is to call during that time frame, there won't be any answer.

My mother's disgusting idea of putting a rat to sleep is sticking him/her in an exhaust pipe. She seems to think they don't deserve veterinary care like a "real" animal like a cat or a dog.

RegimeofSwine said:
My mother's disgusting idea of putting a rat to sleep is sticking him/her in an exhaust pipe. She seems to think they don't deserve veterinary care like a "real" animal like a cat or a dog.

Wow, that's pretty sad. Even if wild rats are pests, they're totally different from the rats we keep as pets today (or so I like to think. :()

Back