Rats and Electromagnetic fields

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caeser

Rats have highly tuned senses and can become overwhelmed by the electromagnetic fields generated by electronic devices. Until a new rat is well acclimated to your home and shows no signs of agitation or irritation when exposed to electronic devices, you should try to keep the habitat in an area of the house with a minimum of electronic activity.

I was wondering how true this is, ive heard of alot of people who keep there rats cages beside there computer.

Rats have highly tuned senses and can become overwhelmed by the electromagnetic fields generated by electronic devices. Until a new rat is well acclimated to your home and shows no signs of agitation or irritation when exposed to electronic devices, you should try to keep the habitat in an area of the house with a minimum of electronic activity.

I was wondering how true this is, ive heard of alot of people who keep there rats cages beside there computer.

Cite source, research? Anecdotal information can get you into lots of trouble for nothing. =)

Sam :doh:

She probably copied this information from somewhere but take everything on the internet with a grain of salt, especially new breeders who actually think Atlantis is a GOOD breeder LOL

As for nuzzling the nape as the goal when babies play? Yeah right, they bite down and pin each other...until the other stops struggling and gives up. :p Its the power position that allows them to flip and then stand on their "victim" LOL

http://lilspazrats.wikispaces.com/Behavior-Are+My+Babies+Fighting+or+Playing?

Here's a better explanation on why rats cannot burp or vomit

http://www.ratbehavior.org/vomit.htm

As for the quote about EMF

here you go

https://idealpestcontrol.wordpress.com/tag/delta-rodent-exterminator/

Or even better, she took most of her stuff from this page

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...11/04/07/surprising-facts-about-pet-rats.aspx

Yea i got my boys off sam, the advice on the page isnt bad for new rat owners to learn, even if it not 100% accurate, why so much hate on atlantis, there the only rattery i could find in ontario besides one in owen sound.

But rats by a computer ? yay or nay?

Yea i got my boys off sam, the advice on the page isnt bad for new rat owners to learn, even if it not 100% accurate, why so much hate on atlantis, there the only rattery i could find in ontario besides one in owen sound.

But rats by a computer ? yay or nay?

Atlantis is a rat miller with a pretty website. I am a rescuer and when she started up her business we all felt like giving up. She pumps 30-70 rats into an already saturated market every single month. Her rats are neglected, do not get vet care and are NEVER seen by the public. She has no pedigrees, doesn't even know which rats she bred (a good breeder keeps detailed records when you are trying to improve the rat overall with health and temperament always being the first things, and appearance last). She has taken in feeder rats and sold them as her own rats (I have helped the people through this trauma when their "breeder" rat wanted nothing to do with them, was biting and anti-social. She doesn't have adoption applications, or contracts its more of a buffet (I'll take one of those, and those and hmmm...one of those please?).

She's produced a lot of rats that have temperament issues, most of her males become hormonal and need to be neutered to have companions again, and most pet rat owners (especially the uninformed) won't have the inclination or funds to neuter their boys. I have 7 of her rats right now...all 6 boys need neuters. I have already had 2 done but am waiting on funds to do the others. They sadly have to live alone for now as they will try to hurt or kill another rat, even their brothers.

There are no good, ethical rat breeders in Ontario, and none in Canada that I am aware of.

As for electromagnetic fields generated by electronic devices, it is my understanding that this is unhealthy for everyone.
For example, people are advised not to keep electrical devices near their beds because of health concerns.
It would difficult to completely get away from electromagnetic radiation in our culture, however, research suggests it is safest to minimize exposure as much as possible.

I would never put a rat cage within several feet of an electrical device.
There may not be any definitive research on this issue but better to err on the side of caution.

btw, there is research that suggests that electromagnetic radiation can trigger seizures in those who are prone to seizures.

Last edited:
Yea i got my boys off sam, the advice on the page isnt bad for new rat owners to learn, even if it not 100% accurate

Information that isn't 100% accurate can be dangerous.
Something like this likely won't necessarily lead to some kind of injury, etc [I'm with SQ on the whole it's not really healthy for any living thing as far as EMFs go. I wouldn't put my rat's home next to my computer, especially with how much I use my computer.] but other misinformation can.
Like this, for example:
2344793.jpg

Which is found on the same page you linked to.

Letting a rat outside is highly unsafe for a plethora of reasons to begin with, but letting a rat outside completely un-contained (not in a cage) is insane.
You can never be as fast as a bird of prey who decides your beloved pet is his next meal.

Hmmmm very interesting read, ill keep this all in mind, and thats a really good point velo, i would never even think about taking them outside my god.

Back