Rats and Dogs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

So I finally introduced my rats to my dogs and I was kinda worried about how my dogs might react toward my ratties however I quickly learned that it isn't my wolfies I should be worried about haha I have my four boys and 3 girls in separate cages and in each cage is one rat that just does not like my puppies and has bitten their noses when they were just trying to get a nose full of rat butt.The other ratties are fine with them and stick their noses out and sniff the dogs right back but these two rats feel like they need to protect their cage mates I am guessing and go full puff ball and make weird like huffing sounds.Will this pass? or do I need to protect the dogs from the rats by putting up the chicken wire stuff so I don't have to keep nursing my dogs poor bleeding noses.The dogs don't care either! My female (Sophia) has stepped back and started doing the butt wagging and barking like she thinks they are playing and I keep telling her that the rat is not playing with her haha. My male (ranger) just keeps sniffing even if their is blood on his nose but he is used to the cats swatting him cause he has boundary issues with well everything! How do I make all my fur babies love each other?:sad4:

Your rats are scared. They're prey animals. You shouldn't try to make them friends with dogs and cats. The huffing and puffing is aggression.

Some cats/dogs and rats will get along naturally however this doesn't seem to be the case. Imo it would be a good idea to follow their lead.

I think for now the problem has fixed itself and the dogs took the hint and now are avoiding the cages all together and just observe from a distance.We are in between places right now landing us all cramped up in a tiny room at my in laws house while our new place is being built so all the personal space we had in our old apartment is gone.But like I said for now the problem seems to have fixed itself and the dogs stay on their side of the room and the rats don't mind them that way.

Teaching the dogs a solid leave it is a wonderful tool and will be helpful for your rats. Good that your pups are satisfied to just stay away. :)

Glad that your dogs are staying away.
As mentioned above, your rats were afraid, and stress can make them ill.

There are always exceptions but in general, rats tend to be predators or prey and should never be mixed with other species.

I am aware of too many cases where pets died horrible deaths from people mixing species because of accidents between species or instincts (rats swallowed alive by dog, hamsters pulled apart through cage bars by a rat, etc) when their owners thought all pets were safe.

Back