Ratless :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinderwolf

So I lost Dante on friday which makes me officially ratless. Since I have had rats since 2010 i feel super weird and my room is so empty : ( Tonight I am going to clean up my room and start putting away my rat things. I am not going to be getting more rats for the foreseeable future, probably not until I move out or at least til Im done school... So i going to pack up all my rat things and find somewhere to store them... Its going to be really weird not having the cage there. I already found myself automatically saying hello when i walk in my room even though there is no one there to hear me : (

Does anyone have any ideas for storing a DCN ? I got it off of craigslist so it doesn't have a box to put it away.. I don't want to keep it put together because my room is rather small.

I will also probably not be as active on the forum ( not that I have been very active lately, though i do come on to check on people.. but I will probabyl nt come on as often, it just kind of hurts to think about rats right now. Im sure you understand. If you want to reach me im on facebook under Emily Cameron ( but tell me who you are if you add me I dont like to add random people) or on tumblr at rat-got-your-tonuge.tumblr.com .

I just wanted to say that everyone here has really changed my life. If I hadn't gotten rats, I would have never found all of you wonderful people and i wouldn't have made the friends I have made. I also wouldn't have gotten into animal rescue and would probably be a completely different person, Rats and this forum changed my life and I will be forever grateful. I will be back eventually to chat but for now i need a break. Thank you all <3 I love you guys and I don't know what I would do without you guys

I'm sorry all your babies have passed on to the Bridge. It is very weird indeed, and you will have a little empty ache for a while every time you walk in and look for the cage. I hope you will be able to get a rattie fix once in a while through a shelter or a friend. :hugs:
As far as the DCN goes, you should be able to break it right down. Give all the parts a good scrub in the tub with hot soapy water, let them air dry a few days, and then you could stash it under your bed or in your closet. I would get a storage container for all the other stuff like bottles, wheel, hidy hut and hammies.

Yea I volunteer at the SPCA and we have a little guy there right now named Ferdinand. Ao I will get a fix.

And yea under the bed seems like a good option, I just don't wanna lose any little pieces I haven't taken it apart since i got it so i cant remember if there are any small bits that could get lost.

I just don't wanna lose any little pieces I haven't taken it apart since i got it so i cant remember if there are any small bits that could get lost.
With the Critter Nations there are no screws, so the smallest parts are the ramps, which aren't that small. You might need a rubber mallet to get it apart though!

so is this a short break from rats or a long term?
I dont know yet honestly. I know I wil probably wait until I have graduated ( next spring) just to focus on my studies , and my parents also said no more rats unless I start paying all the vet bills, which I cant take on while im paying for school. so it will be at least a year probably more. I would probably get more when I move out, if I can find an apartment that allows rats. But for now, its no rats for a long while. Im not sure I can emotionally take more on right now anyways, it is pretty harsh when they leave me and I would feel like I'm replacing them. Then again I dont know that I will be able to last that long without rats.

I guess I will just play it by feel.

And thanks for the advice guys, I will probably take it apart tomorrow or tuesday.

I have been ratless for awhile now and I am waiting for the right time to get two boys. 1 for me and 1 for Holly. I would love a rex baby and they aren't easy to come by. I want a rescue. So hard not having a rat to cuddle but you will know when the time is right.:heart::heart:

Taking the cage down and putting all my rat stuff into storage is actually a lot harder then i thought it would be. I just cant stop crying. This blows.

Emily, have you considered fostering rats for a local rescue? That way you get to have rats, but the vet bills get covered...just a thought. I can "hook you up", if you're interested...?

What a strange feeling it must be for you to be ratless. I'm sorry your babies have all left you, but I know for a fact that you gave them a loving, wonderful home for the duration of their lives.

I totally understand staying away from the forum. If I found myself ratless, it would be hard to look at other peoples' rat. I hope you'll still check in from time to time.

Take your time. We all feel for you. You'll know when you're ready. In the meantime, you did your very best for your ratty family. They know.

I'm so sorry about Dante leaving for the rainbow bridge, rest peacefully little man.
Concentrate on your studies and I'm sure time will fly by until that day when your ready to get some ratties.
Hugs to you Emily :hugs:

Back