Ratatouille grew a tumor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

Hi guys,

For those of you who might not remember(and I don't blame you, I've been pretty quiet the last few weeks), it's just Ratatouille and I left down here in FL. My little baby has been doing so well since both of her best friends died in August, but today, I noticed that she developed a grape-sized, unattached, firm and round, not lumpy tumor on her upper leg(I guess where her hip bone curves).

I'm not sure if this thread is an update, or a search for advice, or what. She is an old rat, probably nearing 3 soon, and just about healthy otherwise(her whole life she has had a lump in her groin, no idea what it is, but it has never grown or changed or cause problems). I don't know if I would go for surgery, but because of her age, most likely not. She is still very happy and healthy, however, so I guess it will depend on how fast this thing is growing...

I attached pictures. When she stretched her legs out, it seems to go "under" her hip, and when she sits, it "pops out".

One of my girls has a lump in the same, or about the same, spot. It grew from the size of a grape to the size of a golfball in a month. This is 2 months after I found the lump. She can't have it removed because of a heart condition. None of the vets I've seen will remove it. At this point I'm not sure when to have her pts. She is otherwise completely healthy and still gets around well.

Oh wow, poor baby. :(
It's so scary how fast it grew.

How old is she?
I would not worry about PTS until she is visibly unhappy.

Try the Budwig mix daily for a while. It has shrunken mammary tumors in some of my rats, or at least, slowed the growth considerably: 1 tbsp cottage cheese blended well with 1 tbsp cold-pressed flax seed oil, and 1/4 capsule of Coriollus versicolor powder (made from the turkeytail mushroom; sold in most health food stores). You can also add some softened goji berries and a pinch of tumeric. Blend well into a paste and offer several times through the day. Others I know with rats who developed tumors tried this and also had success. Depending upon the rat and tumor, sometimes it works more well than others, but it has worked quite well for me many times. Best wishes with everything.

Just a little update.
It's been almost two weeks and the thing hasn't grown. I haven't been to the vet yet, I just haven't had time with work and school, and there has been no change with this lump, or with the one in her groin. Fingers crossed that this keeps up and doesn't get big for a loooooooooooooooooong time!

Hope they grow slow ..... and that she has a lot of good quality time left

btw, mammary tumours are easy to have removed if you have a good vet experienced in doing surgery on rats
Good link for anyone thinking of having any type of rat surgery is http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691
Yeah SQ, I know. Her sister actually had an inguinal mammary tumor removed that we worried was cancerous, and it healed and never came back. I am just worried about her age, going into surgery. :sad-p:

Hey everyone,

It's been over 2 months, and the tumor is a bit larger than a ping pong ball now. She is still very happy and bright and active, and can move pretty easily, but this morning before school I noticed a scab in the corner of it that smells bad. I'm guessing it is opening up. I have an appointment set for 4:30, and I'm wondering if it might be time to PTS. I hate to do it to a rat that is still very happy and "lively'', but I'm not sure what else the vet or I can do.

I wouldn't PTS until she seems unhappy herself, or unless the tumor is causing her pain and/or an inability to move properly. These tumors can get little abscesses or sometimes a small part may outgrow its blood supply and start to scab/necrotize. Unless she's starting to really waste away or seems to have little to no quality of life left anymore, I'd just let her continue to enjoy her life. Keep the tumor clean. Did you ever try the Budwig mix?

Back