Ratatouille boosts Demand for Pet Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickelrat

:no:

Mon Oct 29, 4:15 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - It has four legs and a tail like a dog or a cat, so why shouldn't man's best friend be a...rat?

Demand for rats as pets has surged thanks to the latest Disney/Pixar animated film "Ratatouille" featuring the adventures of a gourmet rat Remy demonstrating his culinary prowess in the top kitchens of Paris.

Pets at Home domestic pet chain says rat sales have surged 50 percent since the film opened in Britain on October 12.

"It's early doors yet, but it seems 'Ratatouille' has done wonders for the image of rats," said company spokesman Steve Fairburn said on the http://www.ukpets.co.uk Web site.

"Contrary to popular opinion, rats are actually one of the cleanest and least smelly pets you can own. They are incredibly responsive to learning and can be taught to do amazing tricks, much in the way that dogs and cats can," he added.

Indeed, the British experience appears to have been echoed wherever the film has been screened.

The United States reported a surge in demand for pet rats during the summer, and pet groups in Germany and Sweden have also said rat sales have surged thanks to the film.

But they also warn that, as with demand for pet puppies and kittens that can fade once the cute factor diminishes with age, a rat is for life not just the holidays.

Great movie but ....

Will be lots of people getting rats who do not know how to care for them :(
Will also be a lot more ratties dumped as people get tired of them or they discover that they grow too large for that little hamster cage :(

Good time for people to reach out to their local SPCAs to offer help, and education.

Good time for people to provide local stores with a pamphlet on rat care that they can photocopy and give out to their customers. I used one from http://www.petratscanada.com that I adapted and added http://www.jorats.com to under recommended internet sites.

I totally agree!!! Before getting ANY pet whether it be cat, dog, fish, rats, etc you ALWAYS have to research. I researched for a month before bringing home the rats.

I had a year to research. It took me that long before my mother cracked. :lol: I think the only thing I messed up on was not getting two. Otherwise, Oliver lived a pretty cushy lifestyle. :)

What's dumb is that parents are saying yes to pet rats for their kids just because they saw some cartoon and now want rats. The parents should know better.

I researched for two months before bringing home zero, oogie and boogie.
My three baby boys are really happy in their home it seems!

ratamataz said:
What's dumb is that parents are saying yes to pet rats for their kids just because they saw some cartoon and now want rats. The parents should know better.

Yes I agree with that. The parents really need to learn as they are the ones teaching the kids.

They should know better but ...
remember the clown fish after the Walt Disney film came out ... poor little fish ... parents bought them for their children too.

Yup, I'm with you Jo. Soon as I heard about Ratatouille I thought "Great! an antidote to the 'bad rats' movies". When I heard about it again and that it was getting attention I worried that rats would be the pet du jour - the new dalmation that everyone wants for a while then abandons...

I bet even Willard had lonely people getting 1 rat thinking it would be their other half and the poor kid not living up to too-high expecations :(

At least they put this in the last line:

"But they also warn that, as with demand for pet puppies and kittens that can fade once the cute factor diminishes with age, a rat is for life not just the holidays."

Fidget said:

Haha, Fidget that quote was in the first post.

I seriously had no interest in seeing Ratatouille at all, I knew what would happen, and anyways how could a cartoon impersonation of a rat compare to the real things in my home? I knew that this would be a problem, "cutifying" rats so everyone would want one...not research and get them, but just want. :sad-p:

This scares me.

I remember when 101 Dalmatians came out my Dad (who has trained dogs for 27 years) said great now I am going to get a bunch of backyard bred dogs that people want me to work miracles with.

And he was right. We had all of these unwanted fear biting, blind and deaf Dalmatians. It was so sad.

I researched for at least 2 months before I got my first rat and I still continue to research them.

I expect any cute animal movie will have reprecussions for the animal being displayed, assuming it's domestic.

Back