Rat with URI,

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i took my girl to my girlfriends, We will go to the vets ASAP with her, and yes i but lets be nice. everyone has there opinions

Also thank you guys for you're help i really appreciate it

That baby girl has been ill for over a week. She should have been to a vet and put on antibiotics last week.

Taking her to your friends will not help anything, if what she has is airborn then the boys have already been exposed.
If it isn't airborn then there was no problem.

Did she get to a vet and was she put on antibiotics today?
If so, which ones?

If not, please give her to lilspaz68 asap so that she will receive the vet care she requires immediately.
You have had one baby girl already die a horrible, terrifying, painful death because she did not receive the medical care she needed.
We do not want to see that repeated. The baby needs vet care and antibiotics now.

Besides, unless you plan to get her spayed or the boys neutered, then you should not have two sexes of rats in the same household.

Last edited:
Everything you're stating takes time but you make it sound like you expect it to be done right away,

Everything SQ said is very reasonable and sound, and I totally agree. It may seem extreme to you, but it is correct.

It has been 5 days since we learned your girl is sick. She has likely been sick for longer than that by the sounds of things. We also know your last girl was sick for awhile and ultimately died from an untreated URI.

It is important to get a rat who is actively showing symptoms of a URI to a vet within 48 hours, preferably less.
Rats don't show symptoms until the disease has progressed, they hide it because they are prey animals. Thus, when our rats are showing symptoms it is huge and needs to be addressed immediately.

So a trip to the vet should have been your priority, not going out and buying two more rats (nonetheless that are the opposite sex of your current one when nobody is fixed).
It is 100% reasonable to get into a vet within 48 hours, nonetheless the 5 days that it has been.
A vet will give you antibiotics immediately, it is highly unlikely that you would be delayed in beginning treatment on the day that your rat sees the vet.

Rats begin to feel better (typically) within 3 days of starting antibiotics. So, as of this point, your girl should be on antibiotics and feeling better. But she's not. She was neglected and set aside and you put getting two more rats in front of taking care of her.

Spaying/neutering will obviously take time, but it really should be done if you want to keep two sexes in your home.

Honestly, I'm trying to be as nice and compassionate to your situation as possible, but I feel like you are intentionally neglecting your rats.
I am also starting to feel like you brought your girl to your girlfriend's house so that you could ignore the situation and pretend like it's not your problem. This is because I was under the impression that you would be going to the vet ASAP but now you are responding like you are planning on waiting another week or more.

Rats are great pets, but they require a lot of care. You can plan on your rats needing to see a vet at least once in their lifetime, but more than likely multiple times.
You need to bring them to get treated when they are ill, not just ignore them and go buy replacements.

In this situation, you need to find a vet with more open hours or you need to call it in as an emergency. If you are worried about money, they will work with you on a payment plan.
If you are looking for a new vet, Google all local vets and give them a call and ask if they will see rats.

Last edited:
I have been reading all your posts along with ALL the replies you have been getting. Normally I would not respond like this, but you just don't seem to be getting it.

Its obvious you did no research, preparation, or planning before you acquired these rats. Once you "purchased" these rats they became YOUR responsibility - not your girlfriends - YOUR's. You owed it to your first deceased rat to get that rat to a vet as soon as you knew she was sick, but you didn't instead you blamed it on the pet store. Now you have a second sick rat and again you have done nothing but blame it on the pet store. If your rat survives YOU are causing damage to her lungs every second, minute, hour, and day YOU dely treatment. I don't want to hear the vet only sees small animals two days a week - then you look around until you find another vet - you DO NOT go out and get two more rats. I have on more than one occasion meet my vet on a Sunday night at the clinic when they aren't even open on Sundays. If I have to, and I have, I just call and say we're on the way expect us. I don't care if I have to sit there and wait - I don't delay treatment. Are you prepared to medicate you girl for the rest of her life? I hope you are, because that quite possibly might be the outcome now if she survives, since YOU are failing to properly care for her. Do you know what lung abscesses are? You better learn since your probably going to dealing with them. I've spent $1200 last month in vet bills are you even slightly prepared for the cost of owning rats? You need to seriously rethink pet ownership.

ill take them all to the vets to make sure that the 2 new one's arnt getting sick

It sounds like you have given up on the baby girl, and she certainly is not a priority (from what you have written and done since she has been ill).

Please contact lilspaz68 immediately and make arrangements to get your baby to her tonight or tomorrow. Then the baby girl will get the care she needs, you can concentrate on your two new babies. and you will not need to worry about having two intact sexes in the same household.

If you ignore this suggestion then get her to a good experienced rat vet by tomorrow. Tell them it is an emergency and do not take no for an answer. Most vets require appointments for nonemergencies and that takes time that you do not have. Please reread posts in this section for the info on the antibiotic combo I recommended - baytril + azithromycin. She needs to be on antibiotics by tomorrow.

Also find a vet that is experienced in successfully treating rats and is available to see ill rats within 48 hrs.
This thread may help http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43&order=desc
or you can post a new thread asking people for vet recommendations in your area.
There is a great vet (Dr Munn) in Toronto used by many members.

Last edited:
i didnt neglect anything, i played with her right until she died in my arms, the only thing was money, i didnt have the funds right away and not many people who arnt "into" rats are going to lend the 150 dollers to help save my rat, people who dont have them as pets dont see them as pets, i hope you guys understand i didnt want this to happen, if i could have it would have been to the vets about a week ago, Neither of them deserved to die your right but they did and nothing can change that, all i can change is how i go about things with my new guys, all i can ask from you guys is to help me out a long the way like you have been so far, but i went to the vet today and she said my new guys seem fine and i shouldent have much to worry about.

The reason i was getting frustrated was because this thread was never about what i should do with my rat that was already sick because i had the vets booked for today anyway but it was what to do to prevent my new guys from getting sick, but instead everyone told me to take my sick rat to the vet and that i should stop being a rat owner, but instead of just giving up im just going to learn from my mistakes and keep going, Also you guys dont know me personally, you dont know my financial situation either so its rather sad how hard im being judged. My plan going into this wasent to kill 2 rats, it just ended up that way, also the first rat that passed was noticeably sick for 2 days before she died, that was on a friday and she passed by sunday, at this time the vets where only allowing small pets tuesday and thursday.

Cheers' i still want to keep everyone updated on my boys todd and reginald because im assuming you guys are freaking out about the fact i still have 2.

I just want to be able keep posting here as well because of how helpful everyone has been.

Last edited:
but instead you all just put me down, rat owners are worse than crazy dog owners

The problem with pet owners like you is that you ask for advice over and over again, but never follow through on the advise you are given. Not only were you given advice by many people, you were given a rehoming option. Your age has nothing to so with this. We have many responsible rat owning teenagers on this forum.

Obviously you didn't research much or you'd know what to look for when "buying" a rat and you would of seen they were sick. Common sense should of told you not to go out and get more when you have a sick one you do not have the means or the ability to care for.

So yes, we get mad after awhile when an animal has to suffer.

Was it the pet stores fault that she was sick?...Most likely....However the fact that you asked for advice and were told EXACTLY what to do and then complained about how it wasn't your fault that she was sick and the vet was only open such and such days does not excuse the fact that you let that poor girl suffer TO DEATH! Did you even attempt to make her an appointment? Were you so busy that you couldn't pick up the phone and say "Hey, my rat is deathly ill and she needs medicine like yesterday!" Unless said vet is run by heartless idiots, I bet they would have called in the antibiotic for you and made you the appointment for a time that worked for you. You should have fought for her because she was a helpless animal and as their owners that is our jobs. I understand that some places don't have alot of options for vet care for rats..I only have 1 in a 100 mile radius but if I had to I would drive the 100 miles to get them vet care because once again, that is my responsibility! 19 or 35 what you did was irresponsible and I hope for your boys sake that they never get sick as everyone else stated, when a rat shows symptoms of sickness it is already long progressed and needs immediate treatment!

had an appointment for today, so i did follow threw i asked before and i admit i didnt act as soon as i should have,

Your profile says your 24?
19 is old enough to be responsible anyway.
I'm sorry, but your days of saying "I'm only X years old, I can't be held responsible!" are over.
You are an adult, act like one. It's time you grow up.
For the record, I'm 23 and got my girls when I was 22. I was "only 22" when all 3 got sick with URIs and I had to bring them to the vet to get proper treatment.

You intentionally let both of your female rats die, completely 100% due to neglect.
You don't need to read a library full of information, you need to be responsible.
Posting on the forum to ask for help was wise of course, but you ignored all of the "hard parts" and stuck to only caring about how contagious something might be. You didn't give a f*** about actually getting her treated and you accepted the fact that she was going to die without medical treatment. You made a choice to not get her treated, you made a choice to abuse her.

I hope and pray that your new male rats don't get sick anytime soon. I have warned you before and I will warn you again right now: chances are they will get sick and need a vet at least once. Please for the love of all things holy do not murder them when they do get sick, act the exact opposite as you have with your girls and get your butt to a vet.

You intentionally let both of your female rats die, completely 100% due to neglect.

All rats get ill and need immediate medical treatment with a good vet experienced in caring for rats. Rats are extremely expensive pets due to their medical needs. My vet has said that rats are expensive as dogs, but for dogs the cost is spread over 15 or more years while for rats the cost occurs in a couple of years. It is advised that rat owners set up bank accounts for vet care and get a credit card to use in case they need vet care they can't immediately afford.

It is extremely rare that anyone is given a rehoming option as we all have more rescues then we should. You were not only told repeatedly what to do since last week, but you were given a rehoming option because we wanted the baby girl to receive the care she needed.

I am devastated that both baby girls suffered horribly and died.
I hope you do not kill anymore pets ..... neither baby girl needed to die

Last edited:
I see you took my advice on "acting adult".
Real cute, posting all these adorable little emoti-cons in response to your neglect, abuse and murder of two animals.
I can see their deaths have not affected you and that you do not truly feel remorse for what you've done.

i didnt neglect anything, i played with her right until she died in my arms, the only thing was money, i didnt have the funds right away and not many people who arnt "into" rats are going to lend the 150 dollers to help save my rat, people who dont have them as pets dont see them as pets, i hope you guys understand i didnt want this to happen, if i could have it would have been to the vets about a week ago, Neither of them deserved to die your right but they did and nothing can change that, all i can change is how i go about things with my new guys, all i can ask from you guys is to help me out a long the way like you have been so far, but i went to the vet today and she said my new guys seem fine and i shouldent have much to worry about.

The reason i was getting frustrated was because this thread was never about what i should do with my rat that was already sick because i had the vets booked for today anyway but it was what to do to prevent my new guys from getting sick, but instead everyone told me to take my sick rat to the vet and that i should stop being a rat owner, but instead of just giving up im just going to learn from my mistakes and keep going, Also you guys dont know me personally, you dont know my financial situation either so its rather sad how hard im being judged. My plan going into this wasent to kill 2 rats, it just ended up that way, also the first rat that passed was noticeably sick for 2 days before she died, that was on a friday and she passed by sunday, at this time the vets where only allowing small pets tuesday and thursday.

Cheers' i still want to keep everyone updated on my boys todd and reginald because im assuming you guys are freaking out about the fact i still have 2.

I just want to be able keep posting here as well because of how helpful everyone has been.

:ratwave:

Last edited:
Back