rat with late onset megacolon help(with pictures now)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

Ok i have been reading a bit on this and it seems to try and help her that she is not to eat any lab blocks and such for this should i separate her from the group she is with? As the group she is with gets lab blocks daily.

Also to help her poop other then Enemas, how else do i stimulate her to go poop(digi was also telling me i have to do this several times a day witch i can as i am home everyday all day)?

Also any other info,guides,articles that would be helpful for me please post them(im already reading the rat health guide one)

Also i know this is a long shot but i would like to try if all fails i will pts but i want to try first like any other rat owner out there would.

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Oh ty.

So i guess every few hours check and see if there is a nugget that needs help out i should help it out good to know.

Also i did wonder is prune juice or prunes good for them to also eat like us if we need to go that helps?

Still the question if i should put her alone or leave her there if i do she will eat lab blocks though?

Also wondering where can i find a Syringe with Tapered Curved Tip? like this one here:
http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Syring ... B0002YFRAW

around me i just do not know where to find them, i had hard times even finding 1cc Syringes at the time of Monkey and Girly.

Here's how Little Devils is handling it:

Noisette and Asti arrived here at about 10 pm last night and they are absolutely precious! I was worried of course about Noisette and wasn't sure what was waiting and that I mgiht have to make a tough decision but all things considered, Noisette is doing well.

The girls arrived and immediately started exploring their new cage, hanging upside down at the top, wrestling with each other and handwrestling with me. I also got a kiss from Noisette too.

Noisette's belly was a bit bloated yesterday and she had some poop stuck at the end so I helped her express that and she pooped overnight so she looks even better today.

At this point we do the following:

- Simethicone twice a day (anti gas med)

- Tummy massages

- Express the poop

- Strict diet... we are still playing around with the diet a bit and it gets restricted more and more.... We know that certain foods can trigger it such as corn, broccoli, celery, cucumber, cabbage etc For example the foster gave them all some celery 3 days ago and then her belly was getting bloated again until I guess last night when she managed to go. Celery is not something I would feed knowing that it can cause gas but it's all live and learn at this point.

I'm going to follow this diet here: http://ratguide.com/health/figures/mega ... gure_5.php

Along with some other foods Debbie recommended (who had a MC boy)

Key essentially will be to find nutritious but easy digestible foods that don't cause gas. I plan on keeping a food journal to see if there's things that trigger... we now already have experience with cucumber and celery and know that those are out...

Once she's older we can also add Cisapride if needed

Anyway, a short clip I took last night shortly after they arrived:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4Au8k0dUE

Ok the link to the rat guide does not work :( not a full link there.wait its the same thing i am also reading ok i am on the right track.

But i still wonder does she stay with others? or alone since all my rats eat lab blocks daily and there will always be lab blocks there.

NO FOODS LIKE THIS:
Lab Blocks
Dog Food
Spicy food
Gassy Foods
Acidic Foods
Cheese or milk
Fiber breakfast cereals
Bread

She lives with the mother and sister so only 2 but like i said the others have to eat daily blocks and it would bee very hard for me not to let her eat them >.< also not letting the others pig out so to say on her special food :giggle:

Edit: i also have been up pretty much all night looking at stuff, reading stuff, this is so stressing me out its crazy :panic: Thats and i just could not sleep for some reason.

For her mental and physical health I would give her a friend and feed the friend the same as her........You can always separate them for an hour or so each day and let the other have access to lab blocks.......

Lil, what are the symptoms of your little one that makes you think she's got MC?
What are her markings as well as moms and sisters?

Bloated(will take picture today) , bigger poop when pooping, trouble pooping i watch her sometimes and see she sometimes stays in the litter for a bit. Bony on top of her body a bit.

Her Mom is pure hairless not one single hair on her and pink(so im guessing white?) Sister and her black double rex.

Oh i read that diet im going to be giving her that also started last night.

100_2573640x480.jpg

100_2574640x480.jpg

100_2575640x480.jpg

100_2576640x480.jpg

If it is in fact megacolon, anything fibrous that would keep most people "regular" are the opposite of what you want, and could cause an obstruction.

Ask my brother in law what pineapple does to his system, LOL!

ok we got her

Baby food:
Prunes
peas & carrots
chicken,veggies and rice.

rice Baby cereal. We already have baby soy milk here on hand always now since monkey and girly lol

Tomorrow we are going to go get
fruit salad
mineral oil
ivory dish soap

I did do her a edema tonight just before we left to the store and it helped she had quite some poop and smelly too >.< but i guess that's normal to her as its blocked up in there.

Back