Rat with broken foot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antlaxfe

Hi, I'm new here and I must say your forums are awesome!

Basically I have a 8 month old male rat who broke his foot around 3 weeks ago,
I wasn't home when it happened but I believe he'd caught his foot in the bars whilst jumping down from climbing on the cage bars.

My local vet doesn't treat rats and because of my financial circumstances at the moment I cant afford to travel to a vet who can, which is unfortunately quite a long distance. I feel terrible about this but it's out of my control.
He's always been very timid and is afraid of almost everyone, including me (although he's getting there) so I think it would be best not to put him through the trauma of travelling so far anyway and I don't drive.

I looked up online and the best advice I got was to basically let it heal on its own.
So I separated him from his cage mate into a small cage with food and water right next to his bed for two weeks to relax and recover, still giving him out time on my lap with his buddy daily but making sure he was still taking it easy.

When the accident happened his right hind leg was swollen and purple around the top of his tarsals just below the joint of the calcaneus, No broken skin, but his toes seemed to be curled and resting slightly outwards. He didn't seem to be in pain and was happy to simply limp around ignoring it.

its about 4 weeks on and there's no sign of bruising or swelling, he seems perfectly fine, happy and is showing no signs of pain or stress whilst going about his business.
The thing that's worrying me is the foot is still curled up and there seems to be no movement in it at all, it doesn't clench or grab, he doesn't even flinch when I examine it as if he can't feel me touching it. When he's walking or lying down it's just flopping about and I even see him dragging it behind him which is making me increasingly concerned since he's still so young!
Fortunately him and his cage mate are over their fighting days and are the best of friends they don't squabble or anything like that so having them together is not a worry.

I've rearranged the cage so there is easy access to all their essentials and favourite spots so he doesn't need to climb anywhere but I really just don't know what else I can do for him and I'm starting to feel like a terrible owner because of it :/

I'd like to know if anyone has seen this or similar before or has any advice on what to do (bearing in mind I have very little money) like whether he needs more healing time or what?

I greatly appreciate any help or opinions,
Thanks, Ant.

I've not experienced this myself before but it sounds like the damage caused could have been permanent. It would be good if a vet could eventually see him but others on the Shack may have some other better words of advice.

It could also have been a bad sprain as well instead of a break since he wasn't exhibiting signs of pain...a broken foot is scary, swells up like crazy and the rat will not use it. It;s possible he just isn't using it because it still hurts or he's not used to using it. I would put him back with his brother (carefully, as they have been separated for weeks...I keep my sickies with my friends as much as possible, unless the other rats(s) are hurting or really bothering the invalid. He may have pulled muscles and they will take longer to heal. I would just put him back in his normal environment and wait and see how he does over time.

Oh and welcome to the Shack! :wave:

Hi My Rats Got A Broken Foot Can Anyone Please Help ME Thank You:urock:

WIN_20170626_16_04_58_Pro.jpg

You will want to give metacam for pain and swelling.
If there is too much swelling it can be dangerous as swelling can cut off the flow of blood.
A vet can give you meds and let you know if it is swollen or sprained.

Pictures of his foot might help
good luck

I had a pet who I am fairly sure broke his foot (Or badly badly sprained it. It was swollen and purple and at the time (last year), I had just lost my job so was unable to go to the vet. (His name was King Jack). He basically free-ranged my apartment and liked to sleep near my pillow, when I slept.

Anyway, he was very territorial and did not like other rats at all. I have 3 other rats in a open cage on a desk, and one somehow got to the floor. Jack attacked him, I saw it, and he started the raking kick they do when fighting but he suddenly just stopped and shuddered. (I grabbed him (was already heading to break up the fight anyway), and he kept shuddering as I held him. Which is when I noticed his swollen and purple foot (back foot). I just placed him on a pillow and stroked him as he shuddered. He eventually went to sleep.

I made sure the other rats were secured away from him for the next couple of weeks, food and water was in easy reach and the foot slowly got better. Later, he even eventually climbed up a broom to the other rats and had a final showdown with them before deciding they were now part of his family. I think an injured backfoot is easier for them to cope with than an injured front foot, and King Jack did turn out well. No sign of a limp. And when I was finally able to take him to the vet a couple of months later, they saw nothing wrong with his mobility.

But I can never forget his just stopping mid-fight and shuddering, or me stroking him while he lay on the pillow shuddering for what was probably 10-15mins but felt like an hour. But also him trusting me completely and the bond we had (he would wake me up by putting his nose in my face and scratching my nose with his whiskers), probably helped me make things very easy for him.

Back