Rat urinating blood

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaana

Hello,
I am not new to this happening, one off my females a couple years back had the same issue as my male rat now. Basically a couple off months ago my rat started urinating blood, I took him to the vets and we tried to sample his urine for infections, but I was told the sample was not good enough. My vet perscribed palatable drops synolux for about 5 days, to which the blood did disappear for a couple weeks, then came back. So I got back in contact with the vet and she prescribed me another course of the above anti biotics. I did it for about 7 days and again the blood disappeared for a couple off weeks and has now come back again. He is currently on metacam in case there is any pain and I am going to get his urine tested again to try and defiantly rule out any infections. I have also ordered some urine strips to test at home to see if it can give me any indication. Basically my vet is suggesting an ultrasound to be done, but I got quoted 200 odd pounds which with it being this time off year is a little bit much. I did suggest an xray, but would it be beneficial? I'm aware that the blood could be to do with either infections, kidneys or some kind of tumour or cyst but is there anything else that could potentially cause it? And I am still confused as to why the blood did disappear and come back both times. I am just after some advice on what the best cause off action would be and if any one has had a similar experience. I have had a message from the rat guide and they have suggested other antibiotics so I'm hoping to try and pursaude my vet to try those. Any help would greatly be appreciated. In terms off himself he is eating, drinking and moving around. He seem fine other wise and I can't see any other symptoms beside the blood.
Kind regards,
Jaana

Hey Jaana, any progress on your rat? Hope he just continues with his normal activities.

Back