Rat Types and Coat Colours

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Could someone give me a link or explain all the types of rats. I have been looking and I can't find anything. I find I lack info in this area.

I love the way the Hawthorn site is setup but you have to remember the UK calls some of their colours a bit differently than us. I think amber or argente is what we call fawn here, etc.

Very cool site!

I don't think we ever properly labeled my girls...a mink base with caramel guard hair patches left many question marks!

Bronwyn said:
Very cool site!

I don't think we ever properly labeled my girls...a mink base with caramel guard hair patches left many question marks!

Your girlies are fawn hooded etc...can't remember their markings and too tired to go look. :lol:

:threadjacked: Directed to me, hehe. I'm sorry, I'll be quick!

_MG_6833.jpg

The camera doesn't pick it up well but the patch between her ears moving down between her eyes is more caramel than the rest of her. It was more distinct when they first came to me so I have little hope of getting a better shot.

I am not sure who I was thinking of Bronwyn, sorry.

You are proudly owned (and fought over!) by a mink hooded and a mink berk.

This is my fav pic. :mrgreen:

IMG_1295.jpg

[/End of Hijack]

cool sites but I'm now confused as to what my Coalie is, at first I thought he was a black berkshire but closer he looks like he has some agouti. Is there such a thing as a Black Agouti berkshire? because Coal has little silver hairs distributed all over his body and some brown on him, here's a pic:
IMG_2030.jpg

And just for fun, here's a pic of baby Chimo :kisses:
chimo-1.jpg

Hehehe..Coalie is a black berk, but he's a "bad" black. The white hairs are called silvering and are common with blacks. Coalie also may rust later on when he's older, which means his fur will be brown in areas.

He's adorable!

Here's Bear's silvering
Bearssilvering.jpg

Hmm.. I was thinking about making a colour/marking reference page, since this question get asked a lot. I'm sure using photos sent in, including our own, we could build up a good reference library of colours/markings :D Let me know what you think!

It'll give me an excuse to pull out my website making program (Dreamweaver).. and Photoshop to put something together. I haven't done that in a while, it's fun!

What a wonderful idea!!!

Jo's got all the pretty colours covered (himi's, etc) and I can do some basics...I get agouti though Jo!!! I got more than you...hehehe.

We can do markings, etc...this could be a lot of fun :)

Hehehe, alright, I'll start making a list of all the colours, and once thats finished I'll make a list of all the markings I can find. I mainly have Agouti and Black rats here.. but I do have Pearl Merle, Himalayan, and Cinammon. I'll get the layout together, probably something with frames so it's easy to browse. :thumbup: I could also include a gallery for each colour, so we can have multiple images of that colour in different markings ;) That way no one has to fight over colours! Lol.

Should I bother with genetic information? I have a decent handle on colour genes, so could include it. Mainly a description and images are needed though. I do like the other sites listed, they have good information, but lack in the image department :wink: I know when I originally started trying to figure out colours, only having one image sometimes confused me. Like with blacks, you can have rusting and silvering, and often I've heard them get called 'Chocolate' or 'Brown' rats.

If you have any input ideas, let me know :) I'm itching to make a little website! Lol

Back