rat terrified of humans

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RatsForever said:
Thank you all for your advice! I greatly appreciated it.

Even when Darwin had cage-mates he was terrified of me and would never come near me but I wasn't really concerned because he had friends. Now that he is alone, I try to spend as much time as I can with him. Last night while I was reading I had him underneath my t-shirt - he just froze and pooped and peed on me. :sad3: While I'm typing this I have him on the couch with me (I'm trying Fidget's suggestion at the moment) but he's still in hiding underneath the blankets. Like many of you suggested, I won't give up and I'll continue to try to bond with him.

:eek:fftopic: As SQ mentioned, Darwin is alone. I was reluctant to mention this because I feared the backlash. I realize keeping a lone rat is not the ideal situation and this appears that I'm a terrible rat owner but emotionally and financially I cannot take in any more rats. Once Darwin passes I will not have any more rats until my currently life situation changes. When I adopted Darwin he was an old and very sick rat. The vet and I thought he was not going to live very long. But he proved us wrong. At the time I had three other old rats for buddies thinking they would all pass away roughly at the same time but Darwin made a complete turn around and has outlived them all. Many of you will think I'm terrible for keeping him alone and terrible for finding another retirement home for him (pets are for life). In the meantime, I am trying to provide the best loving home possible for Darwin.

No backlash from here. I KNOW you are a terrific home and I totally understand needing a break...
Darwin is very very lucky to be with you and I know you will give him the best life. I am sure he will come around.....

SQ said:
LOL
Another reason to adopt a pair of ratties?
I can see the ad now :laugh4:

lol :giggle:

RatsForever, multiple ratties is the ideal best for most ratties as they are social like humans, we all know that. Like humans, some of us end up alone by circumstance, some by choice. A well loved rattie isn't really alone tho, and some (tho not all for sure) can be perfectly happy with enough time & bonding with their human..
You can feel bad for him but don't you dare feel guilty or apologetic. You only have 2 choices, to rehome him with others - or keep him with you. You're a good mom and we all know you're gonna do your best by him and for him. I sure hope he can show you the love you deserve.
Don't be hard on yourself. My Nellie seemed to hate me and loved the other ratties for the 2 1/2 years I had her, but the last week of her life she wouldn't stay at her cage with her sisters, she suddenly kept jumping down over 2 feet to the floor (never did before) and coming to be with me. She's not the only standoffish kid that got affectionate in the end either, just the most surprising. They know we love them, I'm sure Darwin loves you more than you know.

Back