Rat tail degloved*URRGENT*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah9990

Mother rat
My 8 month old hairless got her tail pinched in her cage and about a half of an inch became degloved last night. The tail is exposed, while the skin that was ontop of it is still there hanging. I have been cleaning it with saline water and applying a small amount of polysporin and watching her so she doesn't lick it. Should I keep her with my other 2 rats? Or separate it. There is no more bleeding but I am concerned that the tail skin is still attached.

Last edited:
Your poor little one. Degloving is common but she should be seen by a vet. The vet will probably want to amputate. Degloving is very painful to a rat but they do hide it well. I'd get her to a vet asap for pain meds as well as maybe antibiotics.

Thank you all for the replies, I'm going to try and find a vet who takes in rats, she seems to be doing good and the wound is healing it seems, how could I give her the ibuprofen? Do I just give it in a medicine dropper or could I put it in some soft food for her? Thanks again!

I'm going to have to go out and get one of those for her because all i have is a dropper, thanks so much. And I am in Kitchener, Ontario. If anyone knows of a vet who is good with rats please let me know

Thanks alot! I'm going to be calling them today to see what can be done, really appreciate all the help, at the moment the skin that was attached seems to be healing and closing, while the bone that came out is shrinking and getting darker, no pus or swelling.

Back