Rat sitter contract, need ideas please?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
hello everybody!
I rat sit for friends, usually for free or in exchange for favors but I occasionally get a paid job with someone I don't really know.

I was burned once, only got part of my pay... so I'm now wondering how to go about things, also a little concerned about liability issues (but not too much because I am too poor for anyone to sue. Well ok they could sue me, but they won't get anything, because I don't have anything. I found this out from a loan co signing situation, a lawyer explained it to me. )

However I do feel it's a good idea to have some expectations written down for the benefit of both parties, I'm just not sure what to write and or how to go about it.

For example, when I rat sit, ppl need to know that I can't jump in my car and whisk their rat off to the vet- I don't drive or have a car. So they have to leave me enough $ for cab fare.
I'm thinking I should also ask for half of the rat sitting fee up front (and I could take any cab fare out of that)

I've also had a couple of rats just left in my care- abandoned. They were both old and died within weeks so it never became an issue but if it were to happen again, I think I need to let the person know that I will NOT be keeping their rats. They'd be considered abandoned and I would ask the rescue to take them (and possibly I'd foster them but I can't take on the financial responsibility for someone else's rats)

I don't want to make this super formal but I would like something in writing so that each of us knows what to expect

another thing that's happened is that the rats weren't picked up when they were supposed to be. This turned out to be very inconvenient for me (it was also the time I wasn't paid in full)

I was thinking I'd write out what I'd be providing (clean cage, fresh food and water, clean hammocks, at least one hour out of the cage per day, meds if needed, vet care if needed, photos/videos for the owner and....?)

and what I expect from the owner: half the pay upfront, a credit card put on file with my vet, a phone number to reach the person, what to do if they can't be reached and the rat needs emergency treatment, um, maybe a secondary number to call?

drop off and pick up date, and the consequences of failing to pick up on that day or for abandoning the rats

I feel like I'm forgetting something!

any suggestions welcomed
thanks

I've petsat for years. Thankfully never had any issues with the parents (apart from a pair of abandoned girls). I've never written a contract, but it's a very good idea and I think I might start doing it, if only to be sure I didn't forget anything when we have our interview.

1) If it's a new client I require Full payment in Cash up front! Not having a car you might want to ask for a cab fee too that you will refund if unused..

2) I make it clear that I don't want to be put in the position of making decisions that are theirs to make, so I find out what they want done in case of illness or injury - I want a phone# to call them if a kid has an immediate issue (& a secondary # for someone who can make decisions if possible), but want to know what they want done in an emergency if I can't reach them (treatment up to what cost? Surgery yes or no? Exploratory testing yes or no?) and ask them to contact their vet and make arrangements for their credit card to cover it. So you might want to make check boxes for Exam & meds only? Surgery? Testing? Top cost?
Also you might want to list each kid individually as they may want life-saving treatment for a younger one that they might not want for an older one..
With a written contract you might want to say that you will notify them of any health issues, and in the event of illness/injury you will give all possible care at home, and take them to the vet if necessary ONLY if vet arrangements have been made by the parent. You will not be held liable for any outcome unless you caused the illness/injury, and if so the limit of your liability will be vet care up to (?YouChoose?) dollars.
You could add that in the event of escape your liability will be the amount of the petsit fee, but they wouldn't get more by taking you to court, so why bother bringing up the subject unless they ask?

3) I also had someone abandon their 2 girls during a long-term petsit. I was able to keep them at that time, but I do let people know now that because of that, if they are here past the time paid for they must send another payment immediately or I will rehome them. So you might want to say that if they are not picked up by the agreed-upon date, or a later date mutally agreed on and paid for within 1 day (there's bank transfers & Paypal), they will be considered abandoned and ownership will revert to you.

I really can't think of anything else either, except that I tell people while they're with me I consider them my Own babies - and I Do! Honestly, it's a chance to enjoy more kids than I can afford for a time, and keep up my kid's vet fund too - a win/win for me & all the critters! :D

Last edited:
I agree with Fidget! Full payment in cash before they leave or the deal's off. I used to pet-sit dogs and cats and I never accepted a job with someone unless they payed me ahead of time, even for a friend.

I have them write down their vet clinic's name, address, phone number, and have them call their vet ahead of time and 1) leave a note on their file giving me permission to bring their animal for treatment and 2) leave a credit card on file to be charged in the event of needing treatment, because I'm sure as heck not gonna pay up front and hope they reimburse me later. I do this for people watching my dogs so I require the same when I watch other people's.

I had a liability release that said I wasn't liable for any illness, injury, loss, theft, damage, or death, either to the animal or caused by the animal (like if someone's dog bites a person), and that the owner agrees to be financially responsible for any vet or hospital bills that may be incurred. Also, owner waives the right to take me to court over any damage done by the pet to their home, and in the event of the above mentioned illness, injury, loss, theft, or death, whether by accident or arising from negligence (not that I would be negligent but it prevents people from blaming an accident on you.) The waiver also said something to the effect of me doing my best to get them to a vet in an emergency, but I'm not going to be held liable if I am not able to get them to the vet.

Also make sure to include an indemnification clause, because you can still be taken to court even if they read and sign a waiver, so an indemnification clause says that in that case they will be responsible for any attorney fees and court costs incurred if they try to sue you. I highly doubt anyone would sue over pet-sitting rats, but it doesn't hurt to have anyway.

I went over the liability waiver with them and explained that I have a great track record for safety and the waiver was just all the worst case scenario stuff, cause reading it can sound pretty frightening.

I never had to deal with pet abandonment, but I suggest requiring a look at their driver's license and copying down their address (so there is no risk of them giving you a fake one) and adding in to the waiver that if they don't pick up their pets or contact you within X amount of time after the pre-arranged original pick up date, arrangements will be made to return the pets to their address and they will be held responsible for paying you for the additional time of caring for their pets. Or if you would rather, put it in writing that their animals will be given to the animal shelter and they will be responsible for the fees. Realistically abandonment could still happen, but them knowing that you have their address, and threatening to go after them for surrender fees, should hopefully be enough of a deterrent that people won't try it.

thanks for the great ideas Fidget and allie

I sent an email to the person who wants me to rat sit, telling her that I require 2 phone numbers (hers and a back up number) That I'd like an idea what she'd want done in the event of an emergency (illness, accident) and also that I would consider the rats abandoned if they didn't pick them up on date that we agreed to, and so that they weren't offended, I told them that this actually happened to me before.

The person on the same FB group as I am, so I feel pretty confident that she's using her real name etc but it's a bit disconcerting that she's waiting til the last minute to make all the necessary arrangements.
She doesn't have my phone number or address and hasn't asked for it yet.
I did this on purpose, I want some feedback on the issues I raised in the email and so far, I've gotten nothing back.

It could be that she's super busy getting ready to go away for over a month but still- I know my rats are a high priority for me, so I'd be in touch with the potential sitter well in advance and be asking all kinds of questions.

The lack of communication bothers me. I may ask for a second back up number. And I want those today so I can check and make sure they are valid.

I really really can't get stuck with someone else's rats who are already 2 yrs old.
I have my 3 old men to take care of, I really only agreed to do this to beef up their vet fund. I've got lots of other things I could be doing!
and if I was wanting rats, I can always take more fosters

Back