Rat rescue in Michigan in dire straights! D:

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't make it all the way to Fruitport as they are going early morning and I can't confirm I can get there that early but I will be rat training bubs back. Can any of my fellow Ontario rescuers take in any of these rats?

hope you can make it all the way there even if late because they are going to need all the help they can get as well as the items you are taking and vehicles to put the rats into to get them out of there

In the past these types of rescues required renting a building for months, renting temp controlled trucks, and hundreds of volunteers ....
at least a few will be saved, good luck tomorrow

(Why are the SPCA and Humane Society allowing pet rats to be exterminated without stepping in to try to help?)

Last edited:
I am begging anyone with a heart to donate to Yale Road Adoptables. Today they went to Christine's critter cafe and pulled numerous rats out of the house. A lot of these rats will need medical care I am sure. We just pulled this many a few weeks ago from one house but at least our were in good health and friendly, that isn't the case here. Some of these babies are terrified and injured. We know first hand what it is like for your food bill to double in the matter of a few hours. They will need a helping hand to save these babies. Please share the love for these souls who drove for hours to save these babies.

You can find a donation link on their page.
http://yaleroadadoptables.weebly.com/

11220469_927018617349100_4151268359527653206_n.jpg

11147169_927019210682374_7522931894226820364_n.jpg

10472727_927018767349085_6031118501720476967_n.jpg

You can like their fb page here.
https://www.facebook.com/YaleRoadAdoptables

I'm anxiously awaiting my 6-8 boys. Right now Carrie is triaging the bubs, just trying to settle everyone in. She will medicate those obviously in need, mostly just making sure males and females are separate, and feeding and watering everyone and giving them a safe place to sleep! !

News from today:
FRUITPORT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -
Thousands of rats remain in and around a western Michigan home that housed a now-condemned animal rescue operation.

The Muskegon Chronicle reports (http://bit.ly/1G9Uh0H ) Thursday that authorities and other rescue organizations across the state are trying to find ways to remove the rats overrunning the former Critter Cafe Rescue in Fruitport Township.

Animal Control officer Tiffany Peterson says "rats breed about every three weeks" and "there are thousands there and they're still breeding."

Owner Christine Lea Bishop has been barred from the rented home.
Rabbits, ducks and cats also were cared for at the animal rescue northwest of Grand Rapids.
Many of the animals have been sent to other agencies for care.
Bishop has said the rat population started with a cage of pet rats left outside the building in winter.

Information from: The Muskegon Chronicle, http://www.mlive.com/muskegon

from: http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/29243626/rats-remain-problem-at-condemned-animal-rescue-operation

News report and VIDEO from today, of the rats at the link below

---- Animal Control Officer Tiffany Peterson, of the Muskegon County Sheriff's Office
says that no one should be touching the rats, nobody should be taking the rats ....
that there are thousands of rats and it will be cleaned up in the next week

When they went to the house the rats came running up to see them - so they are friendly,
but when she said it, it sounded like a bad thing ....

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2015/06/cute_or_creepy_watch_hundreds.html

Sounds like they are going to kill them all !!

Last edited:
More pictures here of the 59 that were rescued https://www.facebook.com/YaleRoadAdoptables?fref=photo

hundreds of others (hoodies, berks, hairless, etc) that have not yet been rescued are now being exterminated

If anyone can make offer to take any, the rescue will try to go back on the weekend and rescue more ....

If anyone can get there, I'm thinking the exterminator would gladly let you take any he's trapped. I can't take any more here without solid commitments to take them from me, but I'll go over this weekend and help if anyone else wants to go.

Last edited:
IMPORTANT UPDATE
The local animal control in Fruitport Michigan has said a rescue crew can go in on Sunday but Carrie needs HELP and housing commitments as the 59 she rescued is quickly becoming nearer to 80 as females are giving birth.
If anyone can help in either way please message gotrats10 (@) yahoo . Com
Carrie is from Yale Road Adoptables and cannot commit to going in again without homes/fosters for anymore. She is at capacity...or will be with the litters coming.

Update on the situation with the rats in MI

Yale Road Adoptables caught 59 of the rats on Wednesday and is who to contact if you want to help.

Info on Needs taken from their facebook site:

1. - Fosters to help socialize the litters that have already started coming - I know that's a challenge due to my location, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

2. - Donations are always welcome - I'd like to start booking espays as soon as I can. Donations can be made through the web site http://www.yaleroadadoptables.weebly.com

3. - Looking for transport from Avoca, MI to Hanover IN (from north of Detroit to south of Indy) Can anyone help with that or part of that?

- 6/5/15 Fruitport Update:
"I've been contacted by the Muskegon County Animal Control Officer, who's offered to let me come back this weekend. I'll do that on Sunday if I can get "

4. - solid commitments, not only for a number of animals, but

5. - for transport to get them where they need to go.
The litters are already starting to arrive here, and I just can't responsibly bring more in here without a solid plan.

6. - On that note, I could really use some help coordinating transport efforts.
"I have offers and a few things in the works, but it's getting tough to keep up with that and everything else that's coming in.
If you have some time and wouldn't mind keeping all that straight, I'd be eternally grateful!

Next I'd like to thank everyone who has so generously donated toward the care of these rats. Rat people are the best around, I'm humbled by your generosity and very, very grateful. Thank you!! "

Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/YaleRoadAdoptables?fref=ts

Last edited:
Yale Road Adoptables posted on facebook that they may not be going back tomorrow to save more of the hundreds of pet rats that will soon be killed, because more rescues and people have not made commitments to take them and they can not take in any more unless they have a place to go

Here is an update they posted today thanking people
and identifying ways in which people can help:

http://yaleroadadoptables.weebly.com/fruitport-rescue.html

If you'd like to help, here's what's needed at this time:

Donations: Any amount, every little bit helps. Money for feed, bedding, medications, vet bills and transportation costs will be needed. There is a donation button on the home page.

Transportation Assistance: Please contact me if you can do any leg of a journey from Avoca, MI to Winner, SD or from Avoca, MI to Hanover, IN. I can get them to the MI/IN line, around Elkhart, IN, if need be. Depending on donations, I will be able to assist with transportation costs.

Transportation Assistance Coordinator: If anyone has the time and inclination, I would really appreciate some help setting up rat trains and coordinating different legs of the journey.

Foster Care: Foster homes will be needed for moms and litters, in order to help socialize pups. Those who wish to foster should keep in mind that they'll be dealing with a semi-feral mom.

Experienced Adopters:Those who are willing to provide a home to any of these little ones with the full understanding of the time and patience it will take to help them adjust and trust - and the possibility that they may not.

Adoption Commitments: If you think you'd like to adopt from the newly arriving litters, contact me, please, and we can start the process.

All Metal Cages: I could use some additional all metal cages, either to borrow or to buy. I have plenty of tub type cages here, but am a little nervous about these boys and girls with plastic, and would like to be able to move them into cages with metal bottoms as our population expands. They would need to have 1/4" bar spacing, so I won't be able to use the ferret type cages.

Last edited:
One rescue from Wisconsjn Just last minute volunteered. I have a rescue near here that has stepped up to take a dozen rats, and has the potential space to take the females that are most likely pregnant as well as a home willing to take 2 pregnant females

Not a great portrayal of the rats that didn't do what they did maliciously. They make them sound like a bunch of nuisance vermin...literally using the word vermin :s
But I am glad so many got caught alive! And as for Christine Bishop she is NOW going to try to catch the remaining rats...if she'd have done that in the first place this wouldn't be happening.
And she's taking credit for finding hundreds of them foster homes. Oh heck no YOU didn't miss Bishop...other rescues did that! Theres so many holes that investigators don't see because they don't know rat behaviour. It took a long time for them to colonize...not just a day!

Last edited:
And as for Christine Bishop she is NOW going to try to catch the remaining rats...if she'd have done that in the first place this wouldn't be happening.
That is awful !!
I wouldn't trust her to catch the remaining rats or to care for them properly
She wasn't capable of doing it the first time, why would anyone think she could do it now.

Hopefully the rescues that have rescued the ratties will be able to finish the job
and hopefully Christine Bishop will be charged, prosecuted, receive the medical care she obviously needs, and never be allowed to have more then a couple of animals, if any, in the future.

Agreed! She was posting on FB about how she reached out for help months ago. I have a very very hard time believing that. Considering how quickly we all passed on the need now, if she had contacted any of the many people/rescues who are so easy to find on FB we would have helped!
I hope she gets all the help she needs for herself and that she does pay for what happened.

Back