Rat Neuter/Surgery methods

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

I was told from my vet that she would charge $40 for a office visit to see My boy first to make sure he is healthy, and then she would charge $150 to neuter the rat, so total of $190.
I am new to the whole idea of neutering and spaying your rats, so I was seeing if this is a decent price.
How much are you usually charged for neuters? and spays?
Also do you recommend glue or staples?
My vet has never done a neuter or spay but has done rat surgeries for tumors, she is def into reading and researching into what has to be done, and is soo sweet.
I heard that they should be gassed before the surgery and not by injection, and also they should have a heating pad? Any other things I should bring up to her?
Thanks!

Mine were gassed though I don't know the physiological reason for this. A heating pad would be for post-op stuff so I'm assuming your vet would know that already. It's just a matter of learning the anatomy I believe. I'll admit I'd be nervous about someone who's never done it but it doesn't mean she can't perform a successful surgery.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not sure of the price, as I've never had it done. But the office visit fee sounds good. And it is comforting that she has operated on a rat before. Imagine how the very first patient felt?

The price seems right to me but my vet is very experienced.

Gassing to put to sleep is right. If your vet does her research and uses her experience in other surgical procedures in small animals, I'm sure she will get the knack of it.

Definitely insist for glue on the outside. Rats always get their staples out and opens up their incision. I really do think that staples irritate the site.

eta... not "sight" staples has nothing to do with your eyes. :roll:

That is a pretty decent price, but more of a 'big city' price. That is pretty much what I pay per neuter.
Yes, small animals have to be given gas only. The most popular is Isoflurane, but I believe that there is something even better now. It costs more than IV anethesia but there is no other option.
Jo's advice is correct, go with the glue. I have never had problems with glue, and done almost 20 neuters plus other surgeries, and others that I have known have had problems with staples.
A heating pad is also key, some places will still use a lamp which is also ok. They don't lose much blood during the procedure, one vet told me that literally a drop of blood is lost, but the heating afterwards is important.
They should be up and moving around almost immediately after. Some of my boys were eating and drinking within half an hour of waking up.
They should give a Metacam injection for pain afterwards that will last up to around 24 hours. Sometimes they can still feel a little pain after that so maybe ask to take some Metacam with you. Maybe only two days worth. Don't give it orally until the injection has worn off after the 24 hour period.
They do not need to be fasted prior to surgery, but if you have a rat experienced vet then they will not tell you to do it.
I have never separated my rats after surgery with only one exception, they should be able to go back in with their cagemates with no problem. Monitor the situation to make sure that they are not being harassed too much because they smell funny to everyone else and they are curious. Also make sure that they are navigating their ramps and whatnot well before leaving them alone.
If you are concerned, place the recovering rat in a smaller cage for a day or so, but try to get as many cagemates in there with him. I find that rats recover much better and more quickly when they are with their buddies.
Spays are a different story, it is a far more complicated and involved surgery and is very costly. My vet charges over $300 for a spay.

Thanks guys!!
I am somewhat scared about her first neuter being by boy, but I have not found another vet in the Chicago or Indiana Area that works with rats...
I have to do more research and then make my decision.
I hope all goes well, Im so nervous and I have not even found a vet yet

It sounds like your vet is very willing to learn, and that's so important. At least you know that she has done surgeries on rats, if not neuters, so she has worked on animals that small.

I think, if it helps bring another rat-savvy vet into the world, go for it.

Sounds like good pricing, about what mine charges for visits and neuters, spays are closer to $250-$300 depending on if we are talking e-spay or prearranged.

Definitely go for glue. I have never had good expereince with rats and staples, all of mine have always chewed their staples out.

Vanessa said:
Yes, small animals have to be given gas only.

Just curious, why do you say that? That is how we did Tevy's tumor removals when I was in charge of surgery at the clinic I work at. (Premed with BAG or HAG, induce and maintain on iso)

Another vet at another clinic did my rat spay though, and she used ketamine and domitor, then iso, then reversed the domitor with antisedan. :)

I didn't mind, different folks do things differently. For a young healthy animal, I didn't see the problem with using injectable sedatives and narcotics.

As for the vet doing the neuter, if you like the vet and have confidence in her then I say go for it. :) And a neuter is not nearly as involved as a sugery such as a spay or even as a large tumor removal! And she has done those.

Lise said:
Vanessa said:
Yes, small animals have to be given gas only.

Just curious, why do you say that?

In small animals it is difficult to get the correct amount, because of their size and how quickly their metabolisms process it, and all the vets that I know would not chance it as they do not come out of it quickly enough. It is too risky that they won't come out at all. I have even had cats who were given too much at surgery and they have reacted very badly to it and they are much larger animals.
I would never allow a vet to give my rats anything other than gas because of the risks involved. I have never known of anyone who has ever, in my decade of rat owning, had surgery done on a rat where anything but gas was used.
You can't find a vein on a rat, and that is why they get cardiac injections when they are euthanized, so where is the iv anethestic injected into?

Back