Rat licked frappe straw

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lalane

I have someone visiting right now that was standing close to the cage with a frappe. My rat, Colonel Mustard, pulled the straw through the cage a licked off what was on it.

Now he appears to have a very rapid heart beat. It could be that he’s breathing really fast too, but I think it’s his heart beat. He’s a lot less active than normal and definitely does not look like he feels well. It’s been nearly 24 hours since the straw licking incident.

Will this resolve on its own? Do I need to call the emergency vet?

I ended up calling the emergency vet. She said to change his bedding and call in the morning if he is still struggling. She thinks it could be due to his age. I’ve had him for a year but I don’t know how old he was when I got him. He was an adult though.

I think you should wait a day or two and pay close attention to any new noises. Check the eyes and nose for any porphyrin aswell. If you hear any excessive sneezing (occasional is fine), grunts/wheezing/clicking, etc, then she may have a respiratory infection. What bedding do you use? Sometimes dust can cause respiratory issues too. I would just watch for any behavior changes for now :)

Ps. Rats generally have a fast heart beat and breathe fast so this could be normal. But definitely look out for labored breathing or any signs of pain

Back